Expected value of momentum P in terms of k

Kyuubi
Homework Statement
Just need to clarify this point.
Relevant Equations
$$ \langle p \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\bar{\phi}(p,t) p \phi(p,t)dp $$
Now if I'm given a ##\phi(k)##, and I'm asked to find ##\langle p \rangle##, ##\langle p^2 \rangle##, etc. Am I justified to say that ##\langle p \rangle = \hbar \langle k \rangle## and that ##\langle p^2 \rangle = \hbar^2 \langle k^2 \rangle## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kyuubi said:
Homework Statement: Just need to clarify this point.
Relevant Equations: $$ \langle p \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\bar{\phi}(p,t) p \phi(p,t)dp $$

Now if I'm given a ##\phi(k)##, and I'm asked to find ##\langle p \rangle##, ##\langle p^2 \rangle##, etc. Am I justified to say that ##\langle p \rangle = \hbar \langle k \rangle## and that ##\langle p^2 \rangle = \hbar^2 \langle k^2 \rangle## ?
Yes.

Likes Kyuubi

FAQ: Expected value of momentum P in terms of k

What is the expected value of momentum \( P \) in terms of \( k \)?

The expected value of momentum \( P \) in terms of the wave number \( k \) is given by \( \langle P \rangle = \hbar k \), where \( \hbar \) is the reduced Planck's constant.

How is the wave number \( k \) related to the momentum \( P \)?

The wave number \( k \) is related to the momentum \( P \) by the equation \( P = \hbar k \), where \( \hbar \) is the reduced Planck's constant.

What role does the reduced Planck's constant \( \hbar \) play in determining the expected value of momentum?

The reduced Planck's constant \( \hbar \) acts as a proportionality constant between the wave number \( k \) and the momentum \( P \). It ensures that the units are consistent and provides the correct scaling factor.

Can the expected value of momentum be negative?

Yes, the expected value of momentum can be negative. The sign of \( \langle P \rangle \) depends on the direction of the wave number \( k \). If \( k \) is negative, \( \langle P \rangle \) will also be negative.

How do you calculate the expected value of momentum for a given wave function?

To calculate the expected value of momentum for a given wave function \( \psi(x) \), you typically use the operator approach: \( \langle P \rangle = \int \psi^*(x) \left( -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) \psi(x) \, dx \). For plane waves, this simplifies to \( \langle P \rangle = \hbar k \).