Expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states

In summary, the conversation is about finding the expected value of the variance of energy in coherent states, but there is uncertainty due to the non-hermitian and non-commutative nature of the lowering and raising operators. The solution involves using the commutator property to reduce the calculation to a simpler form.
graviton_10
Homework Statement
Find the variance of the energy in coherent state |ɑ>.
Relevant Equations
<ΔH> = <ɑ| HH |ɑ>
I am trying to find the expected value of the variance of energy in coherent states. But since the lowering and raising operators are non-hermitian and non-commutative, I am not sure if I am doing it right. I'm pretty sure my <H>2 calculation is right, but I'm not sure about <H2> calculation.

Here is my solution:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-25 at 3.08.54 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-25 at 3.08.54 AM.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Likes Terrakron
Physics news on Phys.org
1677335473758.png

Check the step circled in orange. ##a^\dagger## and ##a## don't commute.

Likes vanhees71 and Terrakron
Yes, but how to do it the right way?

graviton_10 said:
Yes, but how to do it the right way?
Please post the steps for how you reduced ##\langle \alpha | (a^{\dagger} a)^2|\alpha \rangle## to ##|\alpha^*\alpha|^2 \langle \alpha | \alpha \rangle##. That way, we can help you see where you made a mistake.

So, I used the fact that the commutator of a and a dagger is 1. Does it look good now?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-27 at 2.51.33 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-27 at 2.51.33 PM.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 69
That looks good.

Related to Expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states

What is the expected value of the variance of the Hamiltonian in coherent states?

The expected value of the variance of the Hamiltonian in coherent states refers to the average measure of the spread of possible Hamiltonian values around their mean. For a coherent state, this variance is typically minimized, reflecting the fact that coherent states are closest to classical states in terms of their quantum fluctuations.

How is the expected value of the variance of the Hamiltonian calculated in coherent states?

The expected value of the variance of the Hamiltonian in coherent states is calculated using the formula: \( \langle (\Delta H)^2 \rangle = \langle H^2 \rangle - \langle H \rangle^2 \), where \( \langle H \rangle \) is the expectation value of the Hamiltonian and \( \langle H^2 \rangle \) is the expectation value of the square of the Hamiltonian in the coherent state.

Why is the variance of the Hamiltonian important in coherent states?

The variance of the Hamiltonian in coherent states is important because it quantifies the quantum fluctuations in energy. Coherent states are known for having minimal uncertainty, and studying the variance helps in understanding the stability and dynamical properties of these states in quantum systems.

How does the variance of the Hamiltonian in coherent states compare to other quantum states?

The variance of the Hamiltonian in coherent states is generally lower than in other quantum states, such as squeezed states or thermal states. This is because coherent states are eigenstates of the annihilation operator and exhibit the least quantum noise, making them the quantum states that most closely resemble classical states.

What are the implications of the expected value of the variance of the Hamiltonian for quantum technologies?

The implications are significant for quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum communication, where coherent states are often used due to their minimal noise properties. Understanding and minimizing the variance of the Hamiltonian can lead to more stable and efficient quantum systems, enhancing performance and reliability.