Experiment for specific latent heat of fusion of ice

In summary, the person lost their procedure for a school-based assessment lab and is asking for help. They remembered using a thermometer to stir ice in warm water, but cannot recall the specifics. They cannot ask their teacher as they have resigned. However, they have found the method in a book, which involves finding the mass of an empty cup, the mass of the cup with water, the temperature of the water, and adding ice until a certain temperature is reached.
Boogeyman
i need some help guys. see, i was doing my school-based assessment labs probably two months ago and as i was going to write up the report I lost my procedure of how to do the experiment. In the one I did, we didn't use any calorimeter like how they describe it when you google the experiment. from what i can remember we used a thermometer to stir ice in some warm water...i can't really remember anymore. any help would be appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Can you talk to your teacher?

After all, you did the experiment. We didn't. It will be difficult for us to guess what the procedure was without having been there.

No I can't. He resigned a few days later. Nevermind though, I found the book.

The method for the Lab was:
1. Found mass of empty cup
2. Found mass of cup with water
3. Recorded temperature of water
4. Dried small peices of ice and melted them in water
5. Kept adding ice until temerature was (your teacher should have given you a no.)
6. Recorded info. found

FAQ: Experiment for specific latent heat of fusion of ice

1. What is the purpose of an experiment for specific latent heat of fusion of ice?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the amount of heat required to convert a specific amount of ice into water without changing its temperature, known as the specific latent heat of fusion.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include ice, a thermometer, a beaker, a Bunsen burner, a tripod stand, a stopwatch, and a heat source.

3. How is the experiment conducted?

The experiment is conducted by first measuring the mass of the ice and placing it in the beaker. The thermometer is then inserted into the ice, and the beaker is placed on the tripod stand. The Bunsen burner is lit and the heat source is adjusted until the ice starts to melt. The stopwatch is started and the time taken for all of the ice to melt is recorded. The temperature of the water is also monitored throughout the experiment.

4. What is the formula used to calculate the specific latent heat of fusion of ice?

The formula used to calculate the specific latent heat of fusion of ice is Q = mL, where Q is the amount of heat energy, m is the mass of the ice, and L is the specific latent heat of fusion of ice. The specific latent heat of fusion of ice is 334,000 J/kg.

5. What are some sources of error in this experiment?

Some sources of error in this experiment include heat loss to the surroundings, inaccuracies in measuring the mass of the ice, and variations in the heat source. It is important to conduct the experiment in a controlled environment and repeat it multiple times to minimize these errors.