Experimental calculated values and Uncertainties

In summary, the original data with the lowest significant figure of 3 gave a calculated value of 0.376 with an uncertainty of 0.127. The original data with the lowest significant figure of 2 gave a calculated value of 0.70 with an uncertainty of 0.08. It is not recommended to report an uncertainty with more than one significant figure, and it would not make sense to report an uncertainty of 1 when the original data has a lower significant figure. It is important to be consistent with significant figures when reporting data.
Yoshimine
1. After I calculated from my original data with lowest significant figure of 3, I got 0.3765 and uncertainty of 0.1274

2.original data with lowest significant figure of 2 .calculated value of 0.69897 and uncertainty of 0.0789

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I answered
1. 0.377 uncertainty of 0.127
2. 0.70 uncertainty of 0.01

My teachers dosent mark our workbook so we don't know whether they are correct or not

any help is appreciated,thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I use the ASTM protocol for rounding (5's round to an even number: .15 rounds up while .25 rounds down). By that rule your 0.3765 rounds to 3 sig figs as 0.376, 0.1274 rounds to 3 sig figs as 0.127, 0.69897 rounds to 2 sig figs as 0.70, and 0.0789 rounds to 2 sig figs as 0.08.

Can the uncertainty be 3 significant figure?

To me, it would not make sense to report an uncertainty with more than one significant figure. Additionally, it wouldn't make sense to report something like '0.377 +/- 0.1' -- because your uncertainty is in the tenths place, the hundredth and thousandth places of the measurement are pretty worthless.

If you want a vaguely more authoritative reference, a quick google search will turn up http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/Chem105manual/Appendices/uncertainty_sigfigs.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to to be consistent with the original data and significant figur for uncertainty need to be 1 for my answer, but I cannot follow those two because it would not make sense.does it mean that there is no correct way to report?

FAQ: Experimental calculated values and Uncertainties

1. What are experimental calculated values?

Experimental calculated values are numerical results obtained through conducting experiments in a scientific study. These values are based on measurements and observations made during the experiment.

2. How are uncertainties calculated in experiments?

Uncertainties in experiments are typically calculated by analyzing the precision and accuracy of the measurements and observations made during the experiment. This can involve statistical analysis, error propagation, and comparison to known values or theoretical predictions.

3. Why is it important to consider uncertainties in experimental data?

Considering uncertainties in experimental data is crucial because it allows for a more accurate and reliable interpretation of the results. It also helps to determine the reliability and limitations of the experimental methods used.

4. How can experimental uncertainties be reduced?

Experimental uncertainties can be reduced by using more precise measurement equipment, increasing the number of measurements taken, and minimizing sources of error. Properly calibrating equipment and following strict experimental protocols can also help to reduce uncertainties.

5. What is the difference between systematic and random uncertainties in experiments?

Systematic uncertainties are caused by flaws in the experimental design or measurement equipment, and can be reduced by making improvements to these factors. Random uncertainties, on the other hand, are caused by unpredictable variations in measurements and can be reduced by taking more measurements and using statistical analysis techniques.