Experimental derivation of magnetic force on a wire

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment measuring force on a wire with electric current in a magnetic field. The experiment yielded 3 graphs showing the relationship between force and length, current, and magnetic field. The goal is to find the relation F = k⋅L⋅I⋅B and determine the value of k. It is suggested to plot force as a function of the product L*I*B to obtain a value for k. The person realizes their mistake of not including constant values in the graph.
nickek
Hi!
I have performed an experiment measure force on a wire with electric current in a magnetic field. I got 3 graphs: Force as function of length (L) of wire, Force as function of current (I) and Force as function of magnetic field (B). In all cases, I got approximately a straight line through origo. Well; so far, so good.

If I know the variated values of the magnetic field, how can I from these functions get the relation F = kLIB? I know that the Tesla-unit is adapted so that k = 1, but in an experimental setup it should differ slightly from 1. How can I get this value from the experiment?

Thanks!
Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you plot the force as a function of the product L*I*B, using all of your data? You should be able to get a value for k from such a graph.

Likes nickek
Redbelly98 said:
Can you plot the force as a function of the product L*I*B, using all of your data? You should be able to get a value for k from such a graph.
Thank you. My failure was that I not included the values held as constants in the product of each measure when I plotted the graph...

Related to Experimental derivation of magnetic force on a wire

1. What is the experimental setup used to derive the magnetic force on a wire?

The experimental setup typically involves a wire placed in a magnetic field, with a current passing through it. The wire is then subjected to a force, which can be measured using a force sensor or a balance. The strength of the magnetic field, the current passing through the wire, and the length of the wire are all variables that can be adjusted in the setup.

2. How is the magnetic force on a wire calculated in the experiment?

The magnetic force on a wire can be calculated using the formula F = I x L x B, where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, and B is the strength of the magnetic field. This formula is derived from the Lorentz force law, which describes the force exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

3. What is the purpose of conducting an experimental derivation of the magnetic force on a wire?

The purpose of conducting this experiment is to validate the theoretical formula for the magnetic force on a wire and to understand the relationship between the variables involved. It also allows for the measurement of the strength of the magnetic field, which is an important parameter in many applications such as electric motors and generators.

4. What are some sources of error in this experiment?

Some sources of error in this experiment include the accuracy of the instruments used to measure the current and the force, and the homogeneity of the magnetic field. Additionally, factors such as the resistance of the wire and external magnetic fields can also affect the results.

5. How can the experimental results be used to improve the accuracy of the formula for the magnetic force on a wire?

By conducting multiple trials and adjusting the variables in the experimental setup, the results can be used to fine-tune the formula for the magnetic force on a wire. This can help to account for any sources of error and improve the overall accuracy of the formula.