Experimental Determination of Speed of Sound in Steel and Aluminum Rods

In summary: I had taken the data from the microphone experiment and plugged it into the equation to get the speed of sound for both materials, and it yielded different results. The aluminum rod yielded a speed of 2109.38 Hz, while the steel rod yielded a speed of 2578 Hz. I'm not sure if this was because of the difference in size between the rods, or if the equation I was using was wrong. I'm guessing that the equation I was using was probably the wrong equation because the data I was given said that the steel rod was .987m while the aluminum rod was .995m. However, even if the equation I was using was the right equation, the data still wouldn't be accurate because the wave length is twice the length
momopeaches

Homework Statement

For my physics lab, we have to calculate the speed of sound through steel and aluminum based on an experiment we did using a microphone and a program called Logger Pro. The resulting graphs gave the frequency of the sound of the aluminum rod as 2109.38 Hz, and the frequency of the sound of the steel rod as 2578 Hz. The aluminum rod is .995m, and steel rod is .987m. We are also told that the wave length is twice the length of the rod.

Homework Equations

velocity = wavelength * frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

v(aluminum) = (2*.995)*2109 = 4196.91 m/s
The given value for the speed of sound through aluminum is 5100 m/s, so my experimental value is about 18% off of the actual value. Am I missing something, or is my data just poor?

v(steel) = (2*.987)*2578 = 5088.97 m/s
This value is also very off of the given value, which was 5960 m/s. So for this one, I have about a 15% error. Again, am I using the wrong equation, or is my data just poor?

Note that I did not do the experiment, this was data given to the students by our instructor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello momopeaches.Every experiment is subject to errors and uncertainties and not being familiar with the method used in this experiment it is difficult to estimate what the overall percentage uncertainty should be.I am guessing that the fundamental frequencies were measured by subjecting the rods to a variable forcing frequency until resonance occured.Anyway you can only use the data you were provided with and it seems that you have done the calculations correctly.Make sure you don't present your answers with too many significant figures.

Since I didn't do the experiment and was just given the data, its hard for me to say what the method used for the experiment were. In past labs, my group has usually been able to have a less than 5% error. The instructor wants us to explain who we may have gotten a high percent error, but without doing the experiment, its hard to say what may have been done wrong.

Thank you for your reply. :) I've been sick for a couple weeks, so coming back and learning a whole chapter in a day makes me shaky on lab reports.

Related to Experimental Determination of Speed of Sound in Steel and Aluminum Rods

1. What is experimental speed of sound?

The experimental speed of sound is the actual speed at which sound travels through a medium, as measured in a laboratory setting. This can vary depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and the type of medium.

2. How is the experimental speed of sound measured?

The experimental speed of sound is typically measured using a specialized apparatus called a sound speed meter, which sends out a sound wave and measures the time it takes for the wave to travel a known distance. This is then used to calculate the speed of sound in the medium being tested.

3. Why is it important to study the experimental speed of sound?

Studying the experimental speed of sound can provide valuable insights into the properties of different materials and how sound travels through them. It is also important in fields such as acoustics, where understanding sound propagation is crucial for designing and optimizing devices and structures.

4. How does the experimental speed of sound differ from the theoretical speed of sound?

The theoretical speed of sound is a calculated value based on the properties of a medium, such as its density and elasticity. The experimental speed of sound, on the other hand, is the actual measured speed in a real-world setting. While the two values may be similar, they can differ due to factors such as temperature and humidity affecting the medium.

5. Can the experimental speed of sound change?

Yes, the experimental speed of sound can change based on the conditions of the medium. For example, as temperature increases, the speed of sound typically increases as well. Additionally, the experimental speed of sound can vary depending on the type of medium being tested, such as air, water, or different solid materials.

Back