Experimental Optics: Solving Challenges with Mach-Zhender & Fibers

In summary, you need to find out how much the fringes have moved, but it's difficult because all the fringes look the same before and after the phase delay.
Karthiksrao
Hi,

I have two small issues while carrying out my experiments:

1) While using Mach Zhender interferometer setup to cause a phase delay,
I would need to find out, by how much the fringes have moved. But all the fringes look very similar before and after causing the phase delay. Because of this I have not been able to find out by how much the fringes have moved...Does anybody know how I can go about this?

2) Causing a phase delay in one of the laser beams is only part of another experiment. The rest of the setup where I look at the interaction of laser beams is all fiber based(i.e lasers are confined to optical fibers).. For causing a phase delay, I thought of again using Mach Zhander interferometer setup.. But the problem is, it is free air based (i.e lasers are reflected around in free air) , so coupling the free air based setup with fiber based setup becomes very difficult... Is there any way, I can cause a phase delay using optical fibers itself...? Do you know of any such equipment being commercially sold, that can enable a phase delay and also has to be fiber based..

Will much appreciate any help with these...

THANKS!

Science news on Phys.org
1, A video camera? You normally look for small changes in fringe position - if you have many whole fringes of movement you will have to count them as they go past.

2, You can stretch the fibre to introduce a path difference. Hang the fibre over pulleys and use a weight to stetch it (carefully)

Thanks for the reply.

With regard to the second question... I should be able to control the amount of phase delay it would result in...

Thanks

With a bit of experimentation you could work out how much weight would stretch it by one wavelength - alternatively there are companies that make peizo based fibre stretchers to modulate the phase delay (can't recommend any in particular)

Karthiksrao said:
Hi,

I have two small issues while carrying out my experiments:

1) While using Mach Zhender interferometer setup to cause a phase delay,
I would need to find out, by how much the fringes have moved. But all the fringes look very similar before and after causing the phase delay. Because of this I have not been able to find out by how much the fringes have moved...Does anybody know how I can go about this?

<snip>

Can you describe the setup with more detail? For example: I can't tell, but are the two arms of your interferometer different fibers? How is the light combined and split? How is the light coupled into and out of the fiber? How large is the beam at the camera, the mirror, the beamsplitter... etc.

I can't give advice how to change your setup until I learn what your setup is.

Related to Experimental Optics: Solving Challenges with Mach-Zhender & Fibers

1. What is the Mach-Zhender interferometer and how is it used in experimental optics?

The Mach-Zhender interferometer is an optical device that uses a beam splitter and two mirrors to split and recombine a light beam, creating interference patterns that can be used to measure changes in the light's phase. In experimental optics, it is commonly used to measure small changes in a light beam's path, such as those caused by refractive index changes in a sample.

2. What are the advantages of using fibers in experimental optics?

Fibers offer several advantages in experimental optics, including their ability to transmit light over long distances without significant loss, their flexibility in routing light to different locations, and their ability to be easily integrated into existing optical systems. Additionally, fibers can be made with various materials and structures to optimize their performance for specific applications.

3. How do Mach-Zhender interferometers and fibers work together to solve challenges in experimental optics?

The Mach-Zhender interferometer can be coupled with fibers to create a fiber-based interferometer, which can be used to measure changes in the light's phase as it travels through the fiber. This allows for precise measurement of changes in the fiber's properties, such as refractive index or temperature. Additionally, fibers can be used to transmit the light to and from the sample, allowing for remote sensing and measurement in hard-to-reach locations.

4. What types of challenges can be solved with the use of Mach-Zhender interferometers and fibers in experimental optics?

Mach-Zhender interferometers and fibers can help solve a wide range of challenges in experimental optics, such as measuring small changes in refractive index or temperature, detecting and characterizing optical signals from remote locations, and minimizing losses in long-distance optical transmission. They can also be used in various sensing applications, such as monitoring structural changes in materials or detecting biomolecules.

5. What are the future developments and applications of Mach-Zhender interferometers and fibers in experimental optics?

There are many exciting potential developments and applications for Mach-Zhender interferometers and fibers in experimental optics. Some possible areas of future research include improving the sensitivity and accuracy of measurements, developing new types of fibers with enhanced properties, and exploring new applications such as quantum sensing and communication. Additionally, the integration of these technologies with other emerging technologies, such as machine learning and nanophotonics, could lead to even more advanced and versatile experimental optics systems.