Experimental Physics post Maths degree?

In summary, if you are currently pursuing a joint degree in Pure Maths and Maths Physics, but are considering switching to Experimental Physics, there are a few options available to you. With a strong background in classical mechanics, E&M, quantum mechanics, and statistical physics, you could potentially be accepted into a graduate program with the condition that you take any remaining undergraduate courses in your first year. Alternatively, you could take a course in experimental physics while still an undergraduate, or join an experimental research group after being admitted to graduate school. Overall, your strong coursework and potential for research make you a competitive candidate for a PhD program in Experimental Physics.
Pyroadept
Hi everyone, I'm currently doing a joint Pure Maths/Maths Physics degree (I did Experimental Physics in first year of college), but am thinking I may have made the wrong choice. If I go on and finish it, what are my options for getting into Experimental Physics? Would I have to go back and do another undergrad degree or are there post-grad options?
Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You said you're doing a mathematical physics degree. Did you take undergrad classical mechanics and E&M? If you took these along with either quantum or stat mech, you should be able to get into a graduate program under the provision that you take the remaining undergrad class(es) your first year. I'm guessing you didn't take a course in experimental physics, but this shouldn't be a big deal, you'll just have to learn experimental techniques on the fly when you're doing research. Once you get admission to grad school, you can potentially work for any research group, and they'll teach you what you need to know. So I think you've got quite a few options.

If you tell me what courses you've taken, I could probably be more helpful.

arunma said:
You said you're doing a mathematical physics degree. Did you take undergrad classical mechanics and E&M? If you took these along with either quantum or stat mech, you should be able to get into a graduate program under the provision that you take the remaining undergrad class(es) your first year. I'm guessing you didn't take a course in experimental physics, but this shouldn't be a big deal, you'll just have to learn experimental techniques on the fly when you're doing research. Once you get admission to grad school, you can potentially work for any research group, and they'll teach you what you need to know. So I think you've got quite a few options.

If you tell me what courses you've taken, I could probably be more helpful.

Hi, on the Mathematical Physics side, my undergrad course does classical mechanics, classical field theory, quantum mechanics, statistical physics, quantum field theory, classical electrodynamics and relativity.

Well, mechanics, E&M, quantum, and stat mech form the backbone of any physics BS. You've got these classes, so you're certainly qualified for PhD work. If you're still in undergrad it wouldn't hurt to take an experimental physics class. Usually it will be called "Methods of Experimental Physics," or something like that. But even otherwise, with a good GPA and physics GRE score, you wouldn't have any problem getting into graduate school, at which point you could join an experimental research group.

FAQ: Experimental Physics post Maths degree?

1. What is experimental physics?

Experimental physics is a branch of physics that involves conducting experiments to study and understand the natural world. It involves designing and carrying out experiments, analyzing data, and making conclusions based on the results.

2. How does a Maths degree prepare me for experimental physics?

A Maths degree provides a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills, which are crucial for understanding and analyzing data in experimental physics. It also helps in developing critical thinking skills and the ability to approach complex problems systematically.

3. What are the key areas of experimental physics post Maths degree?

The key areas of experimental physics post Maths degree include mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and optics. These areas cover a wide range of topics such as motion, energy, electricity, magnetism, heat, light, and atomic and subatomic particles.

4. What are some common techniques used in experimental physics?

Some common techniques used in experimental physics include designing and building experimental setups, collecting and analyzing data using various instruments and equipment, and using mathematical models to interpret and explain the results. Other techniques may include computer simulations, data visualization, and statistical analysis.

5. What are some career options for someone with a Maths degree and a background in experimental physics?

A Maths degree combined with a background in experimental physics can lead to various career options, such as research scientist, data analyst, engineer, or teacher. Other potential career paths include working in industries such as healthcare, technology, energy, or defense, where a strong understanding of physics and data analysis is highly valued.