Experimental Uncertainty - uncertainty in impact position

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of 20 projectiles launched at the same speed and angle, and the uncertainty in the impact position. The solution is said to be achievable by looking at the provided diagram, but the person is unsure of what they are looking for. They ask for ideas and clarification on the concept of "uncertainty".
DanielleG

Homework Statement

The diagram shows the impact of 20 projectiles launched at the same speed and angle. What is the uncertainty in the impact position? (see attached file for picture of diagram)

Homework Equations

No equations, my lab instructor said through an email that I can get it "just by looking at the dots".

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried to find the slope of the line of best fit, but that wasn't the answer. I am just completely lost of what I am supposed to do. I know I can find it just by looking at the diagram, and it's frustrating because I know the problem is simple. I am just not sure what I'm looking for. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• WIN_20150920_12_24_59_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20150920_12_24_59_Pro.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 599
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the rough spread of the dots?

Alternatively: if you shoot again, what would be a typical deviation from the central position? 1 millimeter? 1 meter? Something else?

You are probably not supposed to find a very precise answer.

DanielleG said:
No equations, my lab instructor said through an email that I can get it "just by looking at the dots".

Did he (or your other course materials) say anything at all, at any time, about what "uncertainty" means for him in a situation like this?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say what it means for me, but you should be aware that your instructor may do things differently.

Call the uncertainty Δx. When I say, "the impact position is x ± Δx", that means x is the average position, and about 2/3 of the impact positions are in the range between x - Δx and x + Δx. Based on this, what is your "eyeball estimate" of x and Δx?

If you find out something more specific from your instructor or your course materials, you can adjust accordingly.

FAQ: Experimental Uncertainty - uncertainty in impact position

1. What is experimental uncertainty in impact position?

Experimental uncertainty in impact position refers to the degree of uncertainty or error associated with the measurement of the position of an impact or collision between two objects. It can be caused by a variety of factors such as limitations of measurement tools, human error, or external factors like air resistance.

2. How is experimental uncertainty in impact position calculated?

The experimental uncertainty in impact position is calculated by taking the difference between the measured position and the true position of the impact. This difference is then divided by the true position and multiplied by 100 to get a percentage value.

3. How does experimental uncertainty affect the reliability of scientific data?

Experimental uncertainty can significantly affect the reliability of scientific data because it introduces a degree of inaccuracy into the measurements. This can lead to incorrect conclusions or interpretations of the data, making it difficult to draw reliable conclusions from the experiment.

4. How can experimental uncertainty be reduced?

Experimental uncertainty can be reduced by using more precise measurement tools, increasing the number of measurements taken, and controlling external factors that may affect the results. It is also important to follow proper experimental procedures and minimize human error as much as possible.

5. Why is it important to consider experimental uncertainty in impact position?

Considering experimental uncertainty in impact position is crucial because it allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the results obtained from an experiment. It also ensures that any conclusions drawn from the data are valid and reliable, as they take into account the potential errors and limitations of the measurements.