Expert Help: Does this physics simulation appear realistic to you?

In summary: I don't think they are filled with water. They might be, I'm not sure.Water would definitely make them slide.
ILoveSquats

This is a game called Gran Turismo 5, which is still under development.

10 seconds into the clip, the car drives through some plastic barriers. I find that the barriers are simulated very unrealistically given their reaction to the car, as the force vector modeling appears to be completely off. However, more importantly, their decent to the ground seems very peculiar.

I imagine there is still a lot of modeling left to be done.

However, could some physics experts please weight in.

Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, physics cannot be simulated properly in real time at the moment so they simplify a ton. A whole ton. But perfect physics is probably not what you want to go for in a game like that unless you want to die every time you car clips a wall anyway.

The reason they slowly descend to the ground is because games nowadays use what is called a linear solver that solves physics equations in one or two dimensions at a time, and the constraints placed on the solutions (to prevent wild stuff from happening) prevent the solver from moving object too far in one pass, and multiple passes are needed for accuracy and to move an object far enough to seem realistic. When the game is drawing more stuff the solver runs less to preserve FPS and this make the object fall more slowly.

EDIT: Not that I'm an expert but does something like this really need expert help? Srsly?

What looks wrong is that those blocks are just sliding over the car and the asphalt while they should make a lot of holes and thus not slide.

The descent of the objects is just fine, you are just speed blind due to the car moving so fast.

It's a driving game... don't crash. Then the crash physics are irrelevent.

Why waste processing power on making a perfectly realisitc crash, when that's not the point of the game?

Klockan3 said:
What looks wrong is that those blocks are just sliding over the car and the asphalt while they should make a lot of holes and thus not slide.

The descent of the objects is just fine, you are just speed blind due to the car moving so fast.

Yeah, I didn't even watch that far honestly... having now done so, it's fine (even though the video runs at like 2fps on the PC I'm on ATM so it's hard to make out anything).

But yeah, if there ever is a problem such as objects going through walls, slowing down etc. it's the solver getting you. They are rough approximations with speed in mind.

EDIT: Aren't those blocks usually filled with water? That would suck to hit at high speed, esp a bunch of them.

Related to Expert Help: Does this physics simulation appear realistic to you?

1. What factors make a physics simulation appear realistic?

There are several factors that contribute to the realism of a physics simulation. These include accurate representation of physical forces and properties, realistic movement and interactions of objects, and proper timing and velocity calculations.

2. How can I improve the realism of my physics simulation?

To improve the realism of your physics simulation, you should ensure that your simulation is based on accurate physical equations and properties. You should also pay attention to details such as collision detection, friction, and gravity to make the movements of objects more realistic. Additionally, using high-quality graphics and incorporating sound effects can also enhance the overall realism of the simulation.

3. What are some common mistakes that make a physics simulation appear unrealistic?

Some common mistakes that can make a physics simulation appear unrealistic include using incorrect or simplified physical equations, ignoring important forces such as air resistance, and not accounting for the realistic size and mass of objects. Inaccurate timing and velocity calculations can also lead to unrealistic movements of objects in the simulation.

4. Are there any specific software or tools that can help improve the realism of a physics simulation?

Yes, there are several software and tools that can aid in creating a realistic physics simulation. Some popular options include Unity, Unreal Engine, and PhysX, which offer advanced physics engines and tools for creating realistic simulations. Additionally, using motion capture technology and physics-based animation software can also enhance the realism of a simulation.

5. How important is it for a physics simulation to be completely realistic?

The level of realism required for a physics simulation depends on its purpose. For educational or research purposes, a high level of realism is crucial to accurately represent real-world phenomena. However, for entertainment or gaming purposes, a certain degree of realism may be sacrificed for the sake of gameplay or visual effects. Ultimately, the level of realism needed should be determined by the intended use of the simulation.