Explain to me why the net force is found this way?

In summary, the second crewman should pull with a force of 130N Southwest at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal Northwest in order to achieve a net force of forward in the Y direction.
agentlee

Homework Statement

Two crewmen pull a raft through a lock. One crewman pulls with a force of 130N Southwest at an angle of 34 degrees below the horizontal. The second crewman pulls at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal Northwest. With what force should the second crewman pull so that the net force of the two crewmen is in the forward direction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure I am missing the obvious here but why would you do:
Fsin45 = 130sin34 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer looks correct. Do you have any problem in the method used?

Yeah, I don't quite understand why you would do it that way.

I was thinking of Fcos45 = 130cos214 since it's on the x-axis.

agentlee said:

Homework Statement

Two crewmen pull a raft through a lock. One crewman pulls with a force of 130N Southwest at an angle of 34 degrees below the horizontal. The second crewman pulls at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal Northwest. With what force should the second crewman pull so that the net force of the two crewmen is in the forward direction?
What is the 'forward direction'? West?
When you write below/above horizontal, do you mean, respectively, South and North of West?

agentlee said:
Yeah, I don't quite understand why you would do it that way.

I was thinking of Fcos45 = 130cos214 since it's on the x-axis.

"Cos" gives you the force in the dirction the boat is moving.

"Sin" gives you the side to side force on the boat. If you want the boat to go straight ahead what must that sum to?

[STRIKE]The equation..

Fsin45 = 130sin34

..is actually missing two terms (one on each side) that have been canceled because they are equal.[/STRIKE]

Edit: Scratch that last bit.

Last edited:
I think a diagram would save time.

agentlee said:
http://www.csun.edu/~phys100a/solutions_cadavid/hw4-ch5.pdf
I found the problem here #28. I just don't understand why you would use sin and not cos. My professor said that whichever the angle is being made with, you would use cos with that axis.
If you wanted to calculate the net force in the forward (X) direction you would use cos, but that's not what you're after here. What you need is for the Y components of the two forces to cancel, so the angle of interest in each case is to the Y axis.

The diagram clarifies the problem. It confirms it's just a 2D problem not a 3D.

I have split the vectors into two components which might help. Remember that..

Sin(∠) = Opposite / Hypotenuse

so

Opposite = Hypotenuse * Sin(∠)

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,155
Last edited:

Related to Explain to me why the net force is found this way?

1. What is net force and why is it important?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it. It is important because it determines the motion of an object, whether it will accelerate, decelerate, or remain in a state of constant velocity.

2. How is net force calculated?

Net force is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their direction and magnitude. The resulting sum is the net force acting on the object.

3. Why is net force found by using vector addition?

Net force is found by using vector addition because forces are vector quantities, meaning they have both magnitude and direction. Vector addition allows us to accurately determine the overall force acting on an object by taking into account the direction of each individual force.

4. What is the relationship between net force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration of the object will be.

5. Can the net force on an object ever be zero?

Yes, the net force on an object can be zero if all the individual forces acting on it cancel each other out. In this case, the object will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.