Explaination - Cent. Acceleration and Tangential Acceleration,

In summary, two racing cars with the same centripetal acceleration are negotiating a circular turn, with car A having a radius of 48 m and car B having a radius of 36 m. The ratio of car A's angular speed to car B's angular speed is the square root of 3/4. The formula used to solve this problem is v^2 = ω^2 + r^2, and the ratio is determined by setting FA=FB and solving for the ratio of angular speeds.
grandprix

Homework Statement

Two formula on racing cars are negotiating a circular turn, and they have the same cent. acceleration. However, the path of car A has a radius of 48 m, while that of car B is 36 m. Determine the ration of angular sped of car A to the angular speed of car B.

Homework Equations

v2 = [tex]\omega[/tex]2 + r2

acent = v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

so somehow i got the right answer by taking the square root of (3/4). Basically i am wondering if someone could help me go through the algebra to get the final result.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
actually i know how to do the algbra what i meant to ask was why is it th squareroot of (3/4) and not (4/3)

[tex]F=\omega^2 r[/tex]

[tex]F_A=\omega_A^2 r_A[/tex]

[tex]F_B=\omega_B^2 r_B[/tex]

rA=48
rB=36

You want to get wA/wB.

Since FA=FB => FA/FB=1

Does this help showing how to get the answer?

yes! :) thanks very much!

Related to Explaination - Cent. Acceleration and Tangential Acceleration,

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is perpendicular to the velocity of the object.

What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path in the direction of the tangent to the circle. It is always perpendicular to the centripetal acceleration and changes the magnitude of the velocity of the object.

How are centripetal and tangential acceleration related?

Centripetal and tangential acceleration are two components of the total acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. Together, they determine the direction and magnitude of the object's acceleration.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How does centripetal acceleration affect the motion of objects?

Centripetal acceleration causes objects to continuously change direction, resulting in circular motion. It is responsible for keeping objects in orbit around a central body and for the movement of objects on a curved path.

Back