Explained: Decomposing Lie Groups in Theoretical Physics

In summary, the decomposition of Lie groups is a common topic in theoretical physics papers and books. This involves breaking down a Lie group into smaller groups, such as the adjoint representation of E_8 decomposing into several smaller representations. This can be computed using methods such as working out weight spaces or using Young Tableaux and Dynkin diagrams. A good resource for understanding this process is the book "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics" by Howard Georgi.
AlphaNumeric2
It's common in theoretical physics papers/books to talk about the decomposition of Lie groups, such as the adjoint rep of E_8 decomposing as

[tex]\mathbf{248} = (\mathbf{78},\mathbf{1}) + (\mathbf{1},\mathbf{8})+(\mathbf{27},3) + (\overline{\mathbf{27}},\overline{\mathbf{3}})[/tex]

How is this computed? I'm familiar with working out things like [tex]\mathbf{3} \otimes \mathbf{3}[/tex] using Young Tableaux or weight diagrams but I've suddenly realized I don't know how to do decompositions which aren't tensor products. I can use Dynkin diagrams to limited success but I don't think they apply here. I've tried various Google searches and flicking through a couple of group textbooks I have but they don't cover this method.

Can someone either point me to a book/website which covers this or if they are feeling particularly generous, explain it for me please. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work out the weight spaces.

Thanks Matt, I've had a read around and can see how that leads to the decomposition.

I've been reading through Georgi and it goes into some details about how to work out the SU(n)xSU(m) irreps in both the adjoints of SU(n+m) and SU(nxm) and I've worked out how to do such things, including work out the U(1) charge on any given irrep. I didn't realize that when you give an 'equation' like in my first post, you have to predefine what groups you're breaking your big group into. In the case of my first post, it's [tex]E_{8} \to SU(3) \times E_{6}[/tex].

I've only got a handle on how to do it for adjoints of SU(N) (give or take a U(1) here and there) but that's demystified a great deal of things! Thanks a lot :)

Related to Explained: Decomposing Lie Groups in Theoretical Physics

1. What is a Lie group?

A Lie group is a mathematical concept that combines the algebraic structure of a group with the smoothness of a manifold. It is a group that is also a differentiable manifold, meaning it has both a group operation and a smooth structure that allows for the calculation of derivatives.

2. How does a Lie group decompose?

A Lie group can decompose in various ways, depending on the specific group. In the case of a compact Lie group, it can decompose into a direct product of smaller groups, while a non-compact Lie group may decompose into a semidirect product. Decomposition allows for a better understanding of the group's structure and properties.

3. What is the significance of decomposing a Lie group?

Decomposing a Lie group can help in understanding its structure and representation theory. It also allows for simplification of calculations and can provide insight into the group's geometric properties. Decomposition is a useful tool in studying the behavior of Lie groups in various applications, such as physics and engineering.

4. Can any Lie group be decomposed?

Not all Lie groups can be decomposed. Some Lie groups, such as the simple Lie groups, cannot be decomposed into smaller groups. However, all Lie groups can be decomposed into connected components, and the process of decomposition can still provide valuable information about the group's structure and properties.

5. How is decomposition of Lie groups used in applications?

Decomposition of Lie groups has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, it is used in the study of symmetry and symmetry breaking in physics, as well as in the analysis of differential equations and control theory. It also has applications in computer graphics and robotics, where Lie group decomposition is used for motion planning and control.