Explaining a Physics Phenomenon with a Snowy Photo

In summary, the conversation is about submitting a photo for a physics contest and using a photo of a snow-covered play set. The discussion involves trying to explain the formation of a parabolic arch in terms of physics and considering different forces at play. Suggestions are given for using the hyperbolic cosine function to explain the formation.
Jstuff

Homework Statement

I have to submit a photo for a physics contest. I was thinking of using the picture in the attached, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to explain it in terms of physics. The background on the picture is: We had a very wet snow and as the snow built up on top it got to heavy and slid down the side of the play set but it stopped and created and sort of parabolic arch with supporting the middle. ( See attached picture.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I could say as the snow accumulated on top of the play set the normal force was eventually exceeded by weight of the snow. As it was sliding down the frictional forces slowed it to a slow enough pace that the snow froze in place.
Is there anything wrong with this statement? Also, are there any other forces I should take into account?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• last palm pics 100.jpg
    last palm pics 100.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite parabolic, try hyperbolic!

Thanks, but why exactly? Also, does anyone have any other ideas?

Well, I could derive why it produces a hyperbolic cosine here, if you like? With regards to a qualitative explanation, I'm sure someone else can provide a clearer answer than myself.

I appreciate your effort to explain the physics behind this snowy photo. Your explanation is on the right track, but there are a few other factors to consider.

First, the weight of the snow is not the only force at play here. The snow is also subject to the force of gravity, which is constantly pulling it downward. As the snow slides down the side of the play set, it is also experiencing a component of this force in the direction of its motion.

Second, the frictional forces that you mentioned are also important to consider. As the snow slides down, it is in contact with the surface of the play set, which creates a frictional force that opposes its motion. This force helps to slow down the snow and eventually bring it to a stop.

However, there is another force that is crucial in creating the parabolic arch shape that we see in the photo. This is the normal force, which is the force exerted by the surface of the play set on the snow. As the snow slides down, it pushes against the surface and the surface pushes back with an equal and opposite force, creating the parabolic shape.

Additionally, the temperature and properties of the snow itself can also affect its behavior in this situation. For example, if the snow was very powdery or dry, it may not have enough cohesion to create the parabolic shape and instead may just slide off in a more linear fashion.

Overall, your explanation is a good start, but considering these other forces and factors will provide a more comprehensive understanding of the physics behind this phenomenon. Keep up the good work!

Related to Explaining a Physics Phenomenon with a Snowy Photo

1. What is the physics phenomenon depicted in the snowy photo?

The physics phenomenon depicted in the snowy photo is called snow crystal formation. It is the process by which water vapor in the air freezes into intricate and unique snowflake shapes.

2. What causes snow crystals to form in the first place?

Snow crystals form when the temperature in the atmosphere is below freezing, causing water vapor to turn into solid ice crystals instead of liquid droplets.

3. How do the different shapes of snowflakes form?

The different shapes of snowflakes are determined by the temperature and humidity levels in the atmosphere as well as the journey the crystal takes as it falls to the ground. Each crystal's unique path results in a unique shape.

4. Why do some snowflakes have more intricate and complex shapes than others?

The complexity of a snowflake's shape is determined by the conditions it encounters as it falls through the atmosphere. Slight variations in temperature and humidity levels can result in significantly different shapes.

5. Can the snowy photo be used to study other physics phenomena?

Yes, the snowy photo can be used to study other physics phenomena related to crystal formation, such as the process of ice formation in clouds and its impact on weather patterns.