Explaining Cross-Section, Diff. Cross-Section, & Solid Angle

Whiz: In summary, cross-section is the area that an incoming particle must strike to deflect at any angle within a given range. Differential cross-section is the area for which the particle will deflect at a specific angle. These concepts can be better understood by integrating the differential cross-section over all angles. For more assistance with solid angles, refer to the provided link.
schattenjaeger
well I can follow the math and derive the things I'm about to ask about and do problems asked of me but I'm kinda missing something, I guess

Can someone just give me a fairly layman's explanation of: cross-section, differential cross-section, and a solid angle? Those are all things I thought were something else and trying to look deeper into it just confuses me. Like, if the differential cross section was what I thought it was it'd behave differently than it does, which means I'm thinking of it wrong:(

Physics news on Phys.org
schattenjaeger said:
well I can follow the math and derive the things I'm about to ask about and do problems asked of me but I'm kinda missing something, I guess

Can someone just give me a fairly layman's explanation of: cross-section, differential cross-section, and a solid angle? Those are all things I thought were something else and trying to look deeper into it just confuses me. Like, if the differential cross section was what I thought it was it'd behave differently than it does, which means I'm thinking of it wrong:(
Cross -section is a measurement of the area that the incoming particle must strike in order to deflect at any angle within a given range (ie it will deflect within a particular solid angle). The differential cross section is the area for which the incoming particle will deflect at a particular angle.

The cross-section is obtained by integrating the differential cross-section over all angles within the given range.

For help on tricky solid angles, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_angle" .

AM

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Explaining Cross-Section, Diff. Cross-Section, & Solid Angle

What is cross-section and how is it used in science?

Cross-section refers to the area of a two-dimensional slice or surface of an object or system. In science, cross-section is often used to represent the probability of an interaction or collision between particles, such as in particle physics or nuclear reactions.

What is differential cross-section and why is it important?

Differential cross-section is a measure of the probability of a particle interacting at a specific angle or momentum transfer. It is important because it provides information about the underlying physical processes and can be used to test theoretical models and make predictions about future experiments.

How is solid angle related to cross-section?

Solid angle is a measure of the amount of space covered by a certain angle at a given distance from a point. In the context of cross-section, solid angle is used to calculate the probability of particles interacting within a specific angular range. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior of particles in a given system.

What is the difference between total cross-section and differential cross-section?

Total cross-section is the probability of an interaction occurring at any angle, while differential cross-section is the probability of an interaction occurring at a specific angle or momentum transfer. In other words, total cross-section gives an overall measure of interaction probability, while differential cross-section provides more detailed information about the distribution of interactions.

How do scientists use cross-section, differential cross-section, and solid angle in their research?

Scientists use these concepts in a variety of fields, including particle physics, nuclear physics, astronomy, and materials science. They are used to understand and predict the behavior of particles and systems, test theoretical models, and make predictions about future experiments and observations.