Explaining Spherical Coordinates and Coordinate Vectors

In summary: I didn't want to take much of your time... but thanks for explaining further.. I understand it better now! Thank you so much! :))))No problem, glad to help! In summary, for spherical coordinates, we can show that \hat{\theta} points along the negative z-axis when \theta = 90°. Additionally, if \phi also equals 90°, then \hat{r} and \hat{\phi} point in the same direction, perpendicular to \hat{\theta}. This can be proven by taking the partial derivative of the position vector \vec{r} with respect to \theta and plugging in \theta = 90°, which results in \hat{\theta} = -\hat
jhosamelly

Homework Statement

(a) For spherical coordinates, show that [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] points along the negative z-axis if [itex]\theta[/itex] = 90°.
(b) If [itex]\phi[/itex] also equals 90°, in what direction are [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

can i just explain this in words.. like

for a.
since we are rotating about the z axis , if theta is 90°, theta will automatically point to negative z-axis

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone help me with this one?? I'm really having a problem solving this.

You'll probably need to express these coordinate vectors as functions of r,theta, phi or at least parallel vectors. That is take the partial derivative of the position vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] with respect to theta and plug in theta = 90deg, likewise with (b).

jambaugh said:
You'll probably need to express these coordinate vectors as functions of r,theta, phi or at least parallel vectors. That is take the partial derivative of the position vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] with respect to theta and plug in theta = 90deg, likewise with (b).

... is that something like this??

[itex]\frac{\partial \hat{r}}{\partial \hat{\theta}}[/itex] = r cos [itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial sin \theta}{\partial {\theta}}[/itex] [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + r sin [itex]\phi[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial sin \theta}{\partial {\theta}}[/itex] [itex]\hat{j}[/itex] + r [itex]\frac{\partial cos \theta}{\partial {\theta}}[/itex] [itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

= [itex] r cos \phi (cos \theta) \hat{i} + r sin \phi cos \theta \hat{j} - r sin \theta \hat{k} [/itex]

so if i plug in 90° only -r[itex]\hat{k}[/itex] will be left since cos 90° = 0

how thus that prove anything?

jhosamelly said:
... is that something like this??

[itex]\frac{\partial \hat{r}}{\partial \hat{\theta}}[/itex] = r cos [itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial sin \theta}{\partial {\theta}}[/itex] [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + r sin [itex]\phi[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial sin \theta}{\partial {\theta}}[/itex] [itex]\hat{j}[/itex] + r [itex]\frac{\partial cos \theta}{\partial {\theta}}[/itex] [itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

= [itex] r cos \phi (cos \theta) \hat{i} + r sin \phi cos \theta \hat{j} - r sin \theta \hat{k} [/itex]

so if i plug in 90° only -r[itex]\hat{k}[/itex] will be left since cos 90° = 0

how thus that prove anything?
? ? ? It shows the intended conclusion. [tex]\vec{\theta} = \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial \theta}[/tex]
[tex] \hat{\theta} = \frac{\vec{\theta}}{|\vec{\theta}|} = -\hat{k}[/tex] at [itex]\theta=90^o[/itex].

jambaugh said:
? ? ? It shows the intended conclusion. [tex]\vec{\theta} = \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial \theta}[/tex]
[tex] \hat{\theta} = \frac{\vec{\theta}}{|\vec{\theta}|} = -\hat{k}[/tex] at [itex]\theta=90^o[/itex].

ow.. hahahaha.. I don't know that equation.. hahaha! i mean i know an equation something like that but we only use it to get unit vector.. Is that similar? Thanks for the help :)))) much appreciated

jhosamelly said:
ow.. hahahaha.. I don't know that equation.. hahaha! i mean i know an equation something like that but we only use it to get unit vector.. Is that similar? Thanks for the help :)))) much appreciated

Yes, in general coordinates, say (u,v,w) you can define the local unit vectors [itex]\hat{u},\hat{v},\hat{w}[/itex] as the unit vectors in the directions of increase of the corresponding coordinate. They will be what you get when you normalize each of:
[tex] \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial u}, \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial v},\text{ and }\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial w}.[/tex]

Note these unit vectors vary with coordinates so be careful when differentiating vectors expressed in terms of these. Also for general coordinates don't assume they are orthogonal to each other. However cylindrical, polar, and spherical coordinates are orthogonal coordinate systems so in these cases you do get a local orthonormal basis.

jambaugh said:
Yes, in general coordinates, say (u,v,w) you can define the local unit vectors [itex]\hat{u},\hat{v},\hat{w}[/itex] as the unit vectors in the directions of increase of the corresponding coordinate. They will be what you get when you normalize each of:
[tex] \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial u}, \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial v},\text{ and }\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial w}.[/tex]

Note these unit vectors vary with coordinates so be careful when differentiating vectors expressed in terms of these. Also for general coordinates don't assume they are orthogonal to each other. However cylindrical, polar, and spherical coordinates are orthogonal coordinate systems so in these cases you do get a local orthonormal basis.

last question.. you can just answer yes or no.

for cylindrical coordinates if I'm looking for the direction of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] should i do

[itex]\frac{\partial \hat{r}}{\partial \rho}[/itex] then normalize? like what i did earlier?

Last edited:
jhosamelly said:
last question.. you can just answer yes or no.

for cylindrical coordinates if I'm looking for the direction of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] should i do

[itex]\frac{\partial \hat{r}}{\partial \rho}[/itex] then normalize? like what i did earlier?

Yes, but understand in the context of the problem whether you are being asked to find the unit coordinate vector or the normalized position vector. That is to say the coordinate vector is the unit vector pointing away from the z axis while the normalized position vector always points away from the origin in any coordinate system.

Since we use [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] for the position vector even when we aren't using cylindrical or polar coordinates the notation can be ambiguous. That's why sometimes we write [itex]\hat{\mathbf{e}}_r[/itex] instead of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] (and likewise for other coordinates) to indicate the unit vector in the direction of increasing coordinate.

jambaugh said:
Yes, but understand in the context of the problem whether you are being asked to find the unit coordinate vector or the normalized position vector. That is to say the coordinate vector is the unit vector pointing away from the z axis while the normalized position vector always points away from the origin in any coordinate system.

Since we use [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] for the position vector even when we aren't using cylindrical or polar coordinates the notation can be ambiguous. That's why sometimes we write [itex]\hat{\mathbf{e}}_r[/itex] instead of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] (and likewise for other coordinates) to indicate the unit vector in the direction of increasing coordinate.

I didn't want to take much of your time... but thanks for explaining further.. I understand it better now! Thank you so much! :))))

FAQ: Explaining Spherical Coordinates and Coordinate Vectors

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate a point in three-dimensional space. They are based on the distance from the origin (radius), angle of the point from the positive z-axis (polar angle or inclination), and angle of the point from the positive x-axis (azimuth).

2. How are spherical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, a point is located using its distance from the x, y, and z axes. In spherical coordinates, a point is located using its distance from the origin, angle from the positive z-axis, and angle from the positive x-axis. This makes spherical coordinates useful for representing points in three-dimensional space that have a radial symmetry, such as a sphere.

3. What is the range of values for each coordinate in spherical coordinates?

The radius coordinate can take on any positive value, the polar angle (inclination) can range from 0 to 180 degrees, and the azimuth angle can range from 0 to 360 degrees.

4. How are spherical coordinates converted to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), the following equations can be used:

x = r * sin(θ) * cos(φ)

y = r * sin(θ) * sin(φ)

z = r * cos(θ)

5. What are some practical applications of spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to describe the position and movement of objects in three-dimensional space. They are particularly useful for representing spherical objects, such as planets, stars, and particles in a fluid. They are also used in navigation, where the Earth is treated as a sphere, and in computer graphics for creating 3D models and animations.

Back