Explanation of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept that every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence. It presents a solution using the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, where a sequence is defined and a subsequence is found to satisfy the conditions for convergence. This proves the statement that every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence.
BifSlamkovich

Homework Statement

Every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence.

Homework Equations

Suppose that closed intervals I_0 [itex]\supset[/itex] I_1[itex]\supset[/itex] ... [itex]\supset[/itex] I_m and natural numbers n[itex]_{1}[/itex] < n[itex]_{2}[/itex] <
... < n[itex]_{m}[/itex] have been chosen such that for each 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] k [itex]\leq[/itex] m,
(2)
|I[itex]_{k}[/itex]| = [itex]b-a/2^{k}[/itex], x[itex]_{n}_{k}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]I[itex]_{k}[/itex]n and x[itex]_{n}[/itex] [itex]\in[/itex] I[itex]_{k}[/itex] for infinitely many n.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Let a_1, a_2, ... be a bounded sequence. For each natural number k, defineI_k = [a_m-2^k(a_m-a_1), a_m+2^k(a_m-a_1)]. Since the sequence is bounded, we have that b-a/2^k <= b-a < \infty for all k, where b and a are the upper and lower bounds of the sequence respectively. Thus, the intervals I_k are well-defined.By the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, there exists a convergent subsequence of the bounded sequence a_1, a_2, ... . Let n_1, n_2, ... n_m be the indices of the subsequence. For each 0 \leq k \leq m, we have that x_{n_k} \in I_k and x_{n} \in I_k for infinitely many n. Thus, the conditions of (2) are satisfied and we can conclude that the bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence.

Related to Explanation of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem proof

1. What is the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem?

The Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem is a fundamental theorem in real analysis that states that every bounded sequence in $\mathbb{R}$ has at least one convergent subsequence. In other words, if a sequence of real numbers is bounded, then there exists a subsequence that converges to a real number.

2. What is the proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem?

The proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem involves creating a nested interval sequence and using the Nested Interval Theorem to show that there exists a real number that is a limit point of the sequence. This real number is then proven to be the limit of a subsequence of the original sequence.

3. What is the Nested Interval Theorem?

The Nested Interval Theorem states that if a closed interval $[a_n, b_n]$ is defined for each positive integer $n$, and these intervals satisfy the condition that $[a_{n+1}, b_{n+1}] \subseteq [a_n, b_n]$ for all $n$, then there exists a real number that is in all of the intervals $[a_n, b_n]$.

4. How does the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem relate to the completeness axiom?

The Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem is a consequence of the completeness axiom, which states that every nonempty, bounded set of real numbers has a least upper bound and a greatest lower bound. The proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem uses the completeness axiom to show that the limit point of the sequence is actually the least upper bound of the set of limit points.

5. Why is the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem important in mathematics?

The Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem is an important result in mathematics because it guarantees the existence of a convergent subsequence for any bounded sequence of real numbers. This is a key tool in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and calculus. It also serves as a building block for more advanced theorems and proofs in these fields.