Explanation of wave-particle picture, light

In summary, the wave-particle duality of light refers to the concept that light exhibits properties of both a wave and a particle, allowing it to behave differently in different situations. This principle is fundamental in explaining the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, which includes light, and has led to advancements in technology and new areas of research. The double-slit experiment is a significant demonstration of the wave-like behavior of light, and the wave-particle duality also applies to other particles, leading to important discoveries in quantum mechanics.
VALENCIANA
Sincé I am not a physicist, but study a lot of quantum physics of my own, I hope you excuse my incomplete knowledge.

I have been thinking about the following: If a picture of a simultaneous wave-particle was taken, doesn´t that
contradict the fact that waves actually don´t exist, they are just mathematical probabilities that become information when measured, and therefore particles?
So how can you have mathematical probabilities in a picture with its complementary particle.
Or did they take the picture of the mathematical probabilities in the process of becoming particle?

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/researchers-image-wave-particle-duality-light-first-time-everResearchers

Image Wave-Particle Duality Light For The First Time Ever

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your link leads to a statement "can't be found".

There IS no "wave particle duality". There are quantum objects which are not waves OR particles. They are quantum objects. If you measure their wave properties, you see wave properties, but they are not classical waves. If you measure their particle properties, you see particle properties, but they are not classical particles.

Likes vanhees71 and StevieTNZ
What you say is very interesting Phinds, but could you expand a Little more?
So the picture is not about waves and particles but about wave properties and particle properties at the same time?
Does this also mean that the concept of real wave and real particle belong to Newtonian physics?

VALENCIANA said:
What you say is very interesting Phinds, but could you expand a Little more?
So the picture is not about waves and particles but about wave properties and particle properties at the same time?
Does this also mean that the concept of real wave and real particle belong to Newtonian physics?
Uh, which part of
Your link leads to a statement "can't be found"
was not clear? I was responding to the concept of "wave particle duality" which has been dead in serious physics for about 90 years.

The concepts of waves belongs to both classical physics and quantum mechanics, but it is not the same concept, just the same word and the problem is that "wave particle duality" is trying to apply the classical concepts to quantum objects.

VALENCIANA said:
So how can you have mathematical probabilities in a picture with its complementary particle.
Or did they take the picture of the mathematical probabilities in the process of becoming particle?

Neither. That iflscience.com article is complete garbage, misstating what the researchers did and the significance of their work. And how do I know this even though the URL you posted leads to "page not found" error? First, I recognize the article name in the URL, and you'll find some discussion of it in other threads here. Second, I have your summary of what the article said.

Stuff like this is why PhysicsForums has the rule about acceptable sources; iflscience is not one of them.

Phinds has given a pretty decent informal summary of what "wave-particle duality" does not mean and there's no point in further discussing the iflscience article, so this thread is closed.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Explanation of wave-particle picture, light

What is the wave-particle duality of light?

The wave-particle duality of light refers to the concept that light exhibits properties of both a wave and a particle. This means that light can behave like a wave, with characteristics such as diffraction and interference, but it can also behave like a particle, with characteristics such as being able to transfer energy and momentum.

How does the wave-particle duality of light relate to the electromagnetic spectrum?

The wave-particle duality of light is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that explains the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, which includes light. The electromagnetic spectrum encompasses all types of electromagnetic radiation, from radio waves to gamma rays, and the wave-particle duality of light helps to explain how these different types of radiation can exist.

What is the significance of the double-slit experiment in understanding the wave-particle duality of light?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment that demonstrates the wave-like behavior of light. It involves passing light through two narrow slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits. This experiment is significant because it shows that light can behave like a wave, with the interference pattern being created by the overlapping of light waves. This supports the wave-particle duality of light, as it suggests that light has both wave-like and particle-like properties.

How does the wave-particle duality of light impact our understanding of the behavior of light?

The wave-particle duality of light has greatly impacted our understanding of the behavior of light. It has allowed us to better understand the behavior of light in different situations, such as diffraction and refraction, and has also led to advancements in technologies such as lasers and fiber optics. It has also opened up new areas of research in quantum mechanics and the nature of light itself.

Can the wave-particle duality of light be applied to other particles?

Yes, the wave-particle duality is not limited to light. It applies to all particles, including electrons, protons, and atoms. This means that these particles can also exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. This concept is crucial in the field of quantum mechanics and has led to many important discoveries and technological advancements.