Explicit Equations for Implicit Set at (0,0): First Partial Derivatives

In summary, the set defined by the equations x + y + z + w = sin(xyzw) and x - y + z + w^2 = cos(xyzw) - 1 can be described explicitly by the equations z = f_1(x,y) and w = f_2(x,y) near the point (0,0,0,0), where z and w are the first partial derivatives of f(x,y) at the point (0,0). The small angle approximation of sin and cos may be used in order to find the explicit equations.
minderbinder

Homework Statement

Show that the set defined by the equations
[tex]x + y + z + w = sin(xyzw)[/tex]

[tex]
x - y + z + w^2 = cos(xyzw) - 1[/tex]
can be described explicitly by equation of the form (z, w) = f(x, y) near the point (0,0,0,0); find the first partial derivatives of f(x,y) at the point (0,0)

Homework Equations

The above bolded part is the part I'm unsure about...

The Attempt at a Solution

I did:
[tex]
G = x + y + z + w - sin(xyzw)[/tex]

[tex]
H = x - y + z + w^2 - cos(xyzw) + 1[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\partial (G, H)}{\partial (x, y)} + \frac{\partial (G, H)}{\partial (z, w)} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x } = 0
[/tex]

Then I solved for [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the note of "near the point (0,0,0,0)" is a clue that you can use the small angle approximation of

[tex]
\sin\theta = \theta,\quad

\cos\theta = 1,\quad

\texttt{when }\theta \texttt{ is small.}
[/tex]

I'm not fully understanding what the question is asking, but I'm interpreting it as saying you need to find

[tex]
z = f_1(x,y)
[/tex]

[tex]
w = f_2(x,y)
[/tex]

From there, I would calculate
[tex]
\left.\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right|_{(0,0)} = \frac{\partial f_1(0,0)}{\partial x}
[/tex]
[tex]
\left.\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right|_{(0,0)} = \frac{\partial f_1(0,0)}{\partial y}
[/tex]
[tex]
\left.\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}\right|_{(0,0)} = \frac{\partial f_2(0,0)}{\partial x}
[/tex]
[tex]
\left.\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}\right|_{(0,0)} = \frac{\partial f_2(0,0)}{\partial y}
[/tex]

As I said, though, I may not be properly understanding the question.

FAQ: Explicit Equations for Implicit Set at (0,0): First Partial Derivatives

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly expressed in terms of one variable. It is commonly used when a function is defined implicitly by an equation rather than explicitly in the form of y = f(x).

When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when a function cannot be easily differentiated using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule or the product rule. It is also used when the function is defined implicitly, making it difficult to isolate one variable.

How is implicit differentiation performed?

To perform implicit differentiation, the chain rule is used to differentiate each term in the function with respect to the variable of interest. The resulting equation is then solved for the derivative of the function.

What are the advantages of using implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to solve for one variable. This is particularly useful when working with complex equations or functions that are difficult to solve algebraically.

What are the limitations of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation can only be used to find the derivative of a function with one independent variable. It also requires a good understanding of the chain rule and may be more time-consuming than other methods of differentiation.

Back