Explore EE Career: Real-World Experience from EE Degree Holders

• Thread starter Daniel Spence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career Ee
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a degree in electrical engineering and the various career paths available in the field. The importance of having a genuine interest in the subject and the potential for a successful career in the nuclear power industry with a background in the navy are also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the value of practical experience in the field and the importance of choosing a specific area of focus within the broad field of electrical engineering.
Daniel Spence
So I am 6 years in the navy as a Navy Nuke and I am considering this field. I suppose I'm just looking for as much information as I can right now about the field, trying to find out if it's a good fit for me. I have always been interested in electronic devices and engineering in general, I mean, it's what makes our world today work!

Anyways, I'm just interested in the types of careers people have with a EE degree in their pocket! could somebody share some real world experience here with me? Thanks for reading!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You already fulfill the most important requirement...You are interested in it. So many people gone in just for the money and that is a wrong way to go. You should go for it, if you are not sure, take the Calculus classes along with EE so in case you have a change of heart, you have good math background with you. IT is about the most important thing.

EE field is so broad, don't just look at which one have more jobs, go with the one you have the interest. I personally like analog, RF, IC. I don't like digital, embedded system, FPGA, firmware type even though I spent years in it. Those are a lot easier, but there are a lot of people in this. Even there are more jobs in those digital stuff, there are a lot of people apply for those jobs. People that can't hack the analog, electromagnetics and math go to digital as an escape route!

That's just me.

wow your navy training is worth a lot in civilian nuke power industry.

i worked in instrumentation,, power plant maintenance .

Fascinating because there's such a variety of equipment in a plant and always more to learn.

an electrical with some reactor background is really valuable in a plant.

that was my career, hands on the equipment .

Related to Explore EE Career: Real-World Experience from EE Degree Holders

1. What types of real-world experience can I expect to gain from an EE degree?

As an EE degree holder, you can expect to gain a variety of real-world experience, including hands-on laboratory work, internships or co-ops, and projects with industry partners. These experiences will allow you to apply your theoretical knowledge to practical situations and develop crucial skills such as problem-solving, teamwork, and communication.

2. How will real-world experience benefit my career in EE?

Real-world experience is highly valued by employers in the field of EE. It demonstrates your ability to apply your knowledge and skills in a practical setting, which is essential for success in the industry. It also allows you to build a professional network, gain references, and stand out among other job applicants.

3. Can I gain real-world experience while still in school?

Yes, many EE degree programs offer opportunities for students to gain real-world experience while still in school. This can include co-op programs, internships, research projects, and involvement in industry-sponsored projects. Taking advantage of these opportunities can give you a head start in your career and help you make informed decisions about your future.

4. How can I find real-world experience opportunities in EE?

There are several ways to find real-world experience opportunities in EE. Your university's career center or department may have resources and connections to help you find internships or co-op programs. You can also network with professionals in the field, attend career fairs, and search for opportunities online through job search engines or company websites.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that I should focus on during my real-world experience in EE?

During your real-world experience, you should aim to develop and improve upon your technical skills in areas such as circuit design, programming languages, and problem-solving. Additionally, you should focus on developing soft skills such as communication, teamwork, and time management, which are essential for success in the industry. You should also take advantage of opportunities to learn about new technologies and stay updated on industry trends.