Exploring 2+1 BTZ Black Hole: Maxima Math Solutions & Calculations

In summary: Thank you!In summary, PAllen is looking for help with calculations related to solving the metric for a black hole with two charges, and Zinger0 has done the calculations in the past.
Canopus
Hello mates!

this one is my starting post.

anyone here who is working or did work on 2+1 BTZ black hole, on its metric solution?
have you used Maxima to do maths solutions of tensor elements?
I am in need of some help with calculation.

Regards.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks PAllen. :)
I am doing its calculation, (Christoffel symbols, Ricci Tensors n Scalar, Einstein TensorS) and then have to show the methodology of getting the metric solution from Einstein equation. here I m facing some prob, if there anyone who already went through its calculation by hand or by Maxima, can answer me some question, like,,,, what should we do when a big size tensors make the calculation uneasy!
here is my query :)

Just came across your post. If you are still interested, probably I may be of some assistance: just recently I've dealt with a problem of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=442930". I've calculated those values you look for: Christoffel symbols, Ricci tensors, etc, first by hand and then checking them in Maple.
And here is https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2960035&postcount=4" related to the problem.

But all that is for zero cosmological constant; your case may be different. However, no substantial difficulties should arise if we assume [itex]\Lambda[/itex] to be nonzero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanking you Zinger0.
I missed it during that time! But still it will help me. Catch you later again! :)

I've worked on this problem quite a while ago, but I can try to dig up the calculations. So, what values are you interested in - just those you've mentioned in your previous post? And could you specify the problem you've encountered; since many computer programs can calculate those values if you just define the metric.

FAQ: Exploring 2+1 BTZ Black Hole: Maxima Math Solutions & Calculations

1. What is a BTZ black hole?

A BTZ black hole is a type of black hole that was first proposed by Bañados, Teitelboim, and Zanelli in 1992. It is a three-dimensional black hole that is used as a simplified model to study the properties of black holes in general relativity.

2. How is a BTZ black hole different from other black holes?

Compared to black holes in higher dimensions, a BTZ black hole has a simpler and more tractable geometry. It also has a different event horizon and a unique topology, which sets it apart from other types of black holes.

3. What are the properties of a BTZ black hole?

A BTZ black hole has a mass, angular momentum, and charge, just like any other black hole. However, it is unique in that it has a finite temperature and entropy, which are related to its event horizon. It also has a maximum possible mass, known as the BTZ mass.

4. How are BTZ black holes formed?

BTZ black holes are typically formed through the collapse of a massive star. As the star's core runs out of fuel, it can no longer support its own weight, causing it to collapse under the force of gravity. This results in the formation of a black hole, which can potentially be a BTZ black hole in the case of a three-dimensional universe.

5. Can BTZ black holes be observed?

BTZ black holes are primarily used as theoretical models to study the properties of black holes. They are not currently known to exist in our universe, as our universe is believed to have more than three dimensions. However, they can potentially be observed indirectly through their effects on surrounding matter or through gravitational lensing.