Exploring a QM particle in Motion with GR

In summary: The equation that precedes (7), namely ##{\cal D}=\sum_{\nu}g_{\nu\nu}^{-1/2}\partial_{\nu}##, is a nonsense.
PRB147
I encountered a problem in reading Phys.Lett.B Vol.755, 367-370 (2016).
I cannot derive Eq.(7), the following snapshot is the paper and my oen derivation,
I cannot repeat Eq.(7) in the paper.
Filho.png

##g^{\mu\nu}## is diagonal metric tensor and##g^{\mu\mu}## is the function of ##\mu## only, ##\mu=x,y,z##.
My derivation is as follows, but I cannot repeat their result and my result contains the cross term differential ##\partial_x \partial_y##.

Filho2.png

(The first line is their result), while the last line is mine.
Would anyone can help me to elucidate this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the three horizontal lines after ##\mathcal{D}^2## mean in eq 7? It sometimes means that something is true by definition (identical to) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_bar

If this is the case, you can not derive eq. 7.

PRB147 said:
andgμμ is the function of μ only
indices are not variables, thus the metric is not a function of µ.

Last edited:
Likes PRB147 and Vanadium 50
PRB147 said:
I cannot derive Eq.(7)
That's because the equation that precedes (7), namely ##{\cal D}=\sum_{\nu}g_{\nu\nu}^{-1/2}\partial_{\nu}##, is a nonsense. And it seems that the authors of the paper are not well versed in tensor calculus. To see how Eq. (7) should be correctly written and derived, google Laplace-Beltrami operator.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes strangerep, PRB147, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
PRB147 said:
My derivation is as follows
Please use the PF LaTeX feature to post equations directly, not as images. There is a LaTeX Guide link at the lower left of each post window.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
malawi_glenn said:
What does the three horizontal lines after ##\mathcal{D}^2## mean in eq 7? It sometimes means that something is true by definition (identical to) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_bar

If this is the case, you can not derive eq. 7.indices are not variables, thus the metric is not a function of µ.
thank you for your comment, I thought the author's meaning is ##g_{xx}## depends only on x; ##g_{yy}## depends only on y; etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Demystifier said:
That's because the equation that precedes (7), namely ##{\cal D}=\sum_{\nu}g_{\nu\nu}^{-1/2}\partial_{\nu}##, is a nonsense. And it seems that the authors of the paper are not well versed in tensor calculus. To see how Eq. (7) should be correctly written and derived, google Laplace-Beltrami operator.
Thank you very much, I will read the relevant references according to your guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
@PRB147, your posts #5 and #6 are a mess. Please pay more attention to proper quoting and formatting.

PeterDonis said:
@PRB147, your posts #5 and #6 are a mess.
Well, they aren't now because I have used magic moderator powers to edit them and clean them up. But my advice still stands.

Likes PRB147
PRB147 said:
thank you for your comment, I thought the author's meaning is ##g_{xx}## depends only on x; ##g_{yy}## depends only on y; etc.
No it does not...

Likes PRB147

FAQ: Exploring a QM particle in Motion with GR

What is the significance of combining Quantum Mechanics (QM) and General Relativity (GR) in studying particle motion?

Combining Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity is significant because it aims to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the universe. QM describes the behavior of particles at the smallest scales, while GR explains the effects of gravity at large scales. Studying particle motion with both frameworks could lead to new insights into phenomena like black holes and the early universe, and potentially unify the two theories into a single coherent model.

How do Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity differ in describing particle motion?

Quantum Mechanics describes particle motion using wave functions and probabilities, focusing on the behavior of particles at atomic and subatomic scales. It incorporates the principles of uncertainty and superposition. General Relativity, on the other hand, describes particle motion through the curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy, applying primarily to large-scale structures like stars, planets, and galaxies. The challenge lies in reconciling QM's probabilistic nature with GR's deterministic curvature of spacetime.

What challenges arise when trying to unify Quantum Mechanics with General Relativity?

One major challenge is that the mathematical frameworks of QM and GR are fundamentally different. QM relies on the principles of superposition and uncertainty, while GR is based on the smooth, continuous curvature of spacetime. Additionally, QM typically deals with very small scales where gravitational effects are negligible, whereas GR deals with large scales where quantum effects can often be ignored. Bringing these two perspectives together requires new theories and approaches, such as quantum gravity or string theory, which are still under development.

What are some current theories or approaches to merging Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

Several theories and approaches are being explored to merge Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. One of the most prominent is String Theory, which proposes that particles are one-dimensional "strings" rather than point particles, and includes gravity as one of its fundamental forces. Another approach is Loop Quantum Gravity, which attempts to quantize spacetime itself. Researchers are also investigating ideas like holography and the AdS/CFT correspondence, which suggest that a lower-dimensional theory without gravity can describe a higher-dimensional universe with gravity.

What potential discoveries could result from successfully combining QM and GR?

Successfully combining Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity could lead to groundbreaking discoveries in several areas. It could provide a deeper understanding of black holes, including the resolution of the information paradox. It might offer insights into the nature of spacetime singularities and the conditions of the early universe, potentially explaining the Big Bang. Additionally, it could pave the way for new technologies based on quantum gravity effects and enhance our understanding of fundamental forces and particles.

Back