Exploring Air Shocks: Spring & Dampers in Cars

In summary, air shocks in cars serve as both a spring and a damper. They are able to do so by quickly compressing or expanding air to act as a spring, while also slowly changing the total air volume for damping. The extra volume air chamber found in certain air shocks helps with the damping function. Air shocks have the advantage of being highly tunable for use in a vehicle's suspension system. For more information, refer to a mechanical engineering forum discussion on air suspension.
csiddharthn
Hi,

I see people using air shocks (eg. Fox float, etc) in cars, which function as a spring as well as a damper. The point I do not understand is, how do they function as both a spring and a damper? Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the spring he thing that absorbs the energy from let's say a bump and the damper the thing that is used for dissipating the energy into? How does an air spring perform these functions? A spring has a spring rate and a damper has a damping coefficient, so I am guessing air has both, although I cannot see how those two parameters can be quantified independently in an air spring - but that must be the point surely? - that air has both an appropriate spring rate and an appropriate damping coefficient, suitable for use in a vehicle's suspensipn with a high degree of tunability? And also, what does the extra volume air chamber found in certain (all?) Air shocks do? Please reply!

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can design a system that can quickly compress or expand air (=spring) and slowly change the total air volume (=damping), for example with a small hole in the cylinder.

And also, what does the extra volume air chamber found in certain (all?) Air shocks do?
I guess that is the damping part.

on mechanical engineering forum please look at post - Air Suspension Mar22-11 ..we had a good discussion on this subject

FAQ: Exploring Air Shocks: Spring & Dampers in Cars

1. How do air shocks work in cars?

Air shocks use compressed air to support the weight of a vehicle and provide a smooth ride. The air is contained within a rubber or polyurethane bladder and is pressurized by an air compressor or manually via a valve. The air pressure can be adjusted to accommodate different loads and road conditions.

2. What is the purpose of spring and dampers in air shocks?

The spring in an air shock helps to absorb the impact of bumps and potholes on the road, while the damper (or shock absorber) controls the movement of the spring and helps to prevent the vehicle from bouncing too much. Together, they provide a comfortable and stable ride for the driver and passengers.

3. How do air shocks differ from traditional shocks?

Traditional shocks use a hydraulic fluid to absorb energy and dampen vibrations, while air shocks use compressed air. This makes air shocks more customizable and responsive to changing road conditions, but they also require more maintenance as the air pressure needs to be regularly checked and adjusted.

4. Can air shocks be installed on any car?

No, air shocks are not compatible with all vehicles. They are typically found on larger, heavier vehicles such as trucks, SUVs, and some luxury cars. It is important to consult with a mechanic or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to determine if air shocks are suitable for your car.

5. How often should air shocks be replaced?

The lifespan of air shocks can vary depending on usage and driving conditions, but they typically need to be replaced every 50,000-100,000 miles. Signs that air shocks may need to be replaced include a bumpy or unstable ride, uneven tire wear, and visible damage to the shocks. It is important to have them regularly inspected by a mechanic to ensure they are functioning properly.