Exploring Animal Electricity: The Fascinating Discovery of Galvani in 1771

• B
  • Thread starter genefalk
  • Start date
In summary, Luigi Galvani discovered animal electricity which is now known as electromagnetism. He believed that this electricity was related to the movement of the frog's leg. Later, Volta experimented with different metals and fluids and created the first practical batteries. These batteries are still used today in devices like defibrillators and heart pacemakers.
genefalk
I have read that in 1771 physician Luigi Galvani notices that the leg of a dead frog moves when being explored by metal probes. Galvani called this “animal electricity.”

Why does he think that this movement has anything to do with electricity?

Physics news on Phys.org
genefalk said:
I have read that in 1771 physician Luigi Galvani notices that the leg of a dead frog moves when being explored by metal probes. Galvani called this “animal electricity.”

Why do YOU think he does? Do you think he was wrong?

genefalk said:

Further to @phinds question, what was going on in the literature at that time? Probably some experiments with electricity?... :smile:

There's a very interesting history associated with that discovery. After being made aware of the discovery Volta started experimenting with different metals and fluids other than those found in frogs and came up with the first practical batteries known as Voltaic piles.
Defibrillators and heart pacemakers are just two things where so called "animal electricity" is used.

Last edited:
Dadface said:
There's a very interesting history associated with that discovery. After being made aware of the discovery Volta started experimenting with different metals and fluids other than those found in frogs and came up with the first practical batteries known as Voltaic piles.
Defibrillators and heart pacemakers are just two things where so called "animal electricity" is used.
Since the OP has not answered my question or @berkeman's why don't we let him do some research on his own before spoon feeding him stuff ?

Likes berkeman
@genefalk you have been asked questions in two different posts in this thread and I see you have visited the forum since then. It is bad form to avoid questions so how about answers?

phinds said:
@genefalk you have been asked questions in two different posts in this thread and I see you have visited the forum since then. It is bad form to avoid questions so how about answers?
phinds said:
Since the OP has not answered my question or @berkeman's why don't we let him do some research on his own before spoon feeding him stuff ?
Thank you for your kind words. Also, your question was kind of a non-question as it was reposing my question to me. I would not be asking if I knew the answer.

genefalk said:
Thank you for your kind words. Also, your question was kind of a non-question as it was reposing my question to me. I would not be asking if I knew the answer.
We do not spoonfeed people here. We expect them to do some reading and research on their own first, and ask questions here when the information at encyclopedia type sites (like wikipedia, hyperphysics, etc.) is not clear to them.

Please do some reading and post links to that reading. And ask specific questions about that reading if you are having trouble understanding it. That's the way the PF works, and it works very well. We try to help folks learn how to learn here... :smile:

Likes phinds

Related to Exploring Animal Electricity: The Fascinating Discovery of Galvani in 1771

What is the purpose of studying the leg of a dead frog?

The leg of a dead frog is often studied by scientists to gain a better understanding of the anatomy and physiology of frogs, as well as to learn about the processes of decomposition and how living organisms adapt to death.

How is the leg of a dead frog preserved for study?

The leg of a dead frog can be preserved through various methods, such as air-drying, wet preservation with formalin, or freeze-drying. These methods help prevent further decomposition and allow the leg to be studied over a longer period of time.

What can we learn from studying the leg of a dead frog?

Studying the leg of a dead frog can provide valuable insights into the structure and function of muscles, bones, and nerves in frogs. It can also help us understand the impact of environmental factors on these structures and how they may change after death.

Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the study of the leg of a dead frog?

There may be ethical concerns surrounding the use of animals, including frogs, for scientific research. However, the study of the leg of a dead frog can provide important information that can benefit the understanding and treatment of various medical conditions.

How is the study of the leg of a dead frog relevant to other areas of research?

The study of the leg of a dead frog can have implications in various fields, such as biology, ecology, and medicine. Understanding the anatomy and physiology of frogs can also help us gain insights into the evolution and diversity of vertebrates.