Exploring Atomic Volume: Calculating Moles and Individual Atom Volume

In summary, a percentage of the reciprocal of the "Atomic volume" is the number of moles of atoms per cm3.
Faultline369
Hi!

I am new here, and I am no professional physicist, but I love science and physics. I don’t claim to know much at all, but I hope to someday. Nor am I a math wiz, in fact, I struggle with it.

With that said, I was wondering if a percentage of the reciprocal of the “Atomic volume” is the number of moles of atoms per cm3.

For example: Lead’s atomic volume is 18.272 cm3/mol. It is FCC packed, so there is actually only 74% lead and the rest is void. Therefore: 0.74 * (1 / 18.272) would equal the number of mols of just Lead atoms in One cm3 . . . right? :redface:

So multiplying that above answer by Avogadro’s# would then give the “total number of individual lead atoms” per cm3? . . . right?

Then dividing 1 cm3 by this “total number of individual lead atoms” would then yield the volume of One single atom? (this would be a reciprocal again)

If this is wrong, could you take a second and show me (if possible) how to get individual atom volume from atomic volume?

THANKS! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
well IF atoms HAD individual volume, your method is the one that we would use, but now atoms does not have a definite volume due to their quantum mechanical nature.

Well you can do something like that, Faultline.

The problem malawi_glenn alludes to, is that the question is what that number would actually mean?
Atoms aren't tiny hard spheres. They don't have a well-defined 'radius'. So how would you define it?
The distance from the nucleus that has the highest electron density?
The distance from the nucleus that encloses a certain percentage of the electron density?
Half the distance to the closest atom?
Etc.

Even if you chose a certain definition, the radius would not be constant. A metal atom in a metal crystal would have a different radius than a metal atom in a ceramic material which would be different than the radius for the metal atom bound to some molecule, which would be different than the metal atom's radius in its different ionized states.

That isn't to say the number is useless though. It does say something about the 'size' of the atom, and it's on the same order of magnitude as the other numbers. But that's also about it.

Ahhh, I see what you mean . . . and I agree!

But at least now I know I was doing the figuring right! Thanks for the responses!:biggrin:

Related to Exploring Atomic Volume: Calculating Moles and Individual Atom Volume

1. What is atomic volume?

Atomic volume refers to the amount of space that an individual atom occupies. It is usually measured in cubic centimeters (cm3) or cubic meters (m3).

2. How do you calculate the number of moles in a substance?

To calculate the number of moles in a substance, you need to know the mass of the substance and its molar mass. You can then use the formula moles = mass/molar mass to calculate the number of moles.

3. How do you calculate the volume of an individual atom?

The volume of an individual atom can be calculated by dividing the atomic mass by the density of the substance. This will give you the volume of one mole of the substance. You can then divide this value by Avogadro's number (6.022 x 1023) to get the volume of one atom.

4. What is Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number is a constant that represents the number of particles (atoms, molecules, etc.) in one mole of a substance. It is approximately equal to 6.022 x 1023.

5. How is atomic volume useful in scientific research?

Atomic volume is useful in scientific research as it can provide insights into the properties and behavior of substances. It can also help with predicting how substances will interact with each other and how they will behave under certain conditions. Additionally, knowledge of atomic volume is important for understanding the structure and composition of materials, which is essential in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.