Exploring Basic Physics Proportional Relationships: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the author is asking for a list of basic physics proportional relations. Every equation has a proportional relationship between its variables, and it can get more complicated if different variables are held constant. It is best to learn the equation and understand what it means before looking for a proportionality.
superaznnerd
I was wondering if there are place on the internet where I can find a list of basic physics proportional relations.
For example, a proportionaln relationship is that B (magnetic field strength) is directly proportional to I (current) and inversely proportional to R (distance).
also, something like distance traveled is directly proportional to average speed.
I just need a list of all these basic physics proportional relationships.

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
superaznnerd said:
I was wondering if there are place on the internet where I can find a list of basic physics proportional relations.
For example, a proportionaln relationship is that B (magnetic field strength) is directly proportional to I (current) and inversely proportional to R (distance).
also, something like distance traveled is directly proportional to average speed.
I just need a list of all these basic physics proportional relationships.

Thanks so much!

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/ap/students/physics/info_equation_tables_2002.pdf

Everywhere a formula shows things multiplied or divided, but there is no square, square root, trig function, etc.

Suppose ABCDE=FGHIJ

For any given value of ABCD, and any given value of FGHI, E is proportional to J. If you double one, you would double the other.

For any given value of ABCDE and any given value of FGH, I is inversely proportional to J. On you double one, the other would become one-half its former value.

Likes Syed Ammar
thx bp ppsy

I strongly suggest you read what mikelepore said, because you might be setting yourself up for a possible confusion if you think that there is a SET collection of such a thing. For example, look at Ohm's Law

V=IR

Is V proportional to I? Or is V proportional to R? Both are correct if the other variable is kept constant. So already you have two proportionality relationship here. It gets more involved if the equation is more complicated, such as the thin lens equation

1/f = 1/i + 1/o

Can I say that 1/f is proportional to 1/i if I keep o constant? etc.. etc.

It is better to learn the equation and to know what it means, and then learn how one deduce a proportionality based on what quantities are being varied and what are being held constants.

Zz.

Likes Syed Ammar

Related to Exploring Basic Physics Proportional Relationships: A Comprehensive Guide

What is a proportional relationship?

A proportional relationship is a mathematical relationship between two variables in which the ratio of their values remains constant. This means that when one variable increases or decreases, the other variable also increases or decreases in proportion.

How can you tell if a relationship is proportional?

You can tell if a relationship is proportional by creating a table of values and checking to see if the ratio of the two variables remains constant. Another way is to graph the relationship and see if the points form a straight line that passes through the origin.

What is the slope of a proportional relationship?

The slope of a proportional relationship is the constant ratio between the two variables. It represents the change in the dependent variable for every unit increase in the independent variable.

How can you use proportional relationships in real life?

Proportional relationships can be used to solve problems involving rates, such as finding the cost of a product based on its weight or determining the speed of an object. They can also be used to compare quantities or make predictions based on known values.

What is the difference between direct and inverse proportional relationships?

In a direct proportional relationship, as one variable increases, the other variable also increases. In an inverse proportional relationship, as one variable increases, the other variable decreases. This means that the ratio between the two variables remains constant in a direct proportional relationship, but it changes in an inverse proportional relationship.