Exploring Black Holes and the Mystery of Photons

In summary, David asks about black holes and photons. He is confused about what is stated in the FAQ about relativistic mass and how it affects photons if they are massless. He finds the explanation in the FAQ to be a good conceptual starting point. He thanks Danny for providing the information.
dany74q
Hello everyone,
I have a question that bothers me quite some time now,and it would be great to get an answer.

I have been reading some time now about black holes,and photons,and how black holes attract photons and different theories says it can or cannot escape the black hole,and there`s some things that aren`t clear to me:
1.How can a black hole attract a massless particle?
2.How can we see the black hole if he "swallows" the photons ?
3.quite general - are black holes confirmed as "anti - matter" or is it an unconfirmed hypothesis?

So many thanks,
if the question is not appropriate to this section I would be grateful if one of the moderators could move it.
Danny.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
you can't see a black hole directly only by how it interacts on its surroundings and it dose not atract a particle the black holes immense gravity pulls it in

clm321 said:
it dose not atract a particle the black holes immense gravity pulls it in
Thanks,though I`m still confused about the quoted sentence -
I understand that the high value force of black holes gravity pulls the photons in,but how it can affect the photons if they are massless ?
I know that when calculating the force of gravity between 2 objects when one of the masses valued zero (which it is in this case),the equation itself equal zero = no force applied on neither objects.
Am I not correct?

well if you believe in string theory they say graty may be causesd by gravitons and the transfer of these particle causes force if they somehow are transferred between photons you can see how gravity only depends on its mass by the amoput of particles available to give off gravitions

DavidSullivan said:
Photon have relativistic mass. See the FAQ here on the forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104715

-David

Thank you for sharing that source,some very interesting FAQ.
Though if I understood correctly the formula,then their relativistic mass is also 0,
as m-rel = gamma * m0 (rested),as m0 equal zero then m-rel will be zero as well,
plus - if m-rel is "gain in mass" and equivalent to the value of the velocity increment it will always be zero with photons,as theoretically they move in the same velocity,
or maybe I understood it wrong?

Thank you so much for your answers,
I really appreciate it.

dany74q said:
Thank you for sharing that source,some very interesting FAQ.
Though if I understood correctly the formula,then their relativistic mass is also 0,
as m-rel = gamma * m0 (rested),as m0 equal zero then m-rel will be zero as well,
plus - if m-rel is "gain in mass" and equivalent to the value of the velocity increment it will always be zero with photons,as theoretically they move in the same velocity,
or maybe I understood it wrong?

Thank you so much for your answers,
I really appreciate it.

I don't know - I'm not a physicist and simple questions in physics seem always to have long and difficult explanations.

I found the explanation in the FAQ to be a good conceptual starting point and should narrow your search if you chose to continue digging.

Good luck!

-David

mass or energy creates a gravitational field as stated in relativity . we know that light has energy E=hf
A photon it self has its own gravitational field.

dany74q said:
1.How can a black hole attract a massless particle?
It doesn't. Gravity is not an attraction; it is a curvature of spacetime.

All massive objects - planets and BHs alike - warp spacetime. All objects - massive or massless - follow the curve of spacetime. Around a BH, spacetime is so curved that photons follow their straight path through curved spacetime to the BH.

dany74q said:
2.How can we see the black hole if he "swallows" the photons ?
We do not see a BH itself. But they tend to acquire an accretion disc of infalling matter. This matter gets compressed and shines brightly, especially in X-rays.

dany74q said:
3.quite general - are black holes confirmed as "anti - matter" or is it an unconfirmed hypothesis?
I know of no such hypothesis. Where did you read this?

Related to Exploring Black Holes and the Mystery of Photons

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape its grasp. It is created when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses in on itself due to the force of gravity. This creates a singularity, a point of infinite density and zero volume, surrounded by an event horizon, the point of no return for objects and light.

3. What is the relationship between black holes and photons?

Photons, which are particles of light, can be affected by the strong gravitational pull of a black hole. As they approach the event horizon, their wavelength increases, causing them to shift towards the red end of the spectrum. Once they cross the event horizon, they can never escape.

4. Can we see black holes?

No, we cannot see black holes directly because they do not emit or reflect any light. However, we can observe the effects of black holes on their surroundings, such as the distortion of light from stars and galaxies behind them, and the radiation emitted from the accretion disk around them.

5. Can anything escape a black hole?

No, nothing can escape a black hole once it crosses the event horizon. This includes matter, light, and even information. However, some theories suggest that black holes may eventually evaporate due to Hawking radiation, but this has not been observed yet.