Exploring Canonical Form of Linear Programming

In summary: If we have $m$ independent equations with $m$ variables, there is a unique solution.We can tell because if $A$ is square, the fact that the rows are independent means that it's invertible.So $Ax=b \Rightarrow x = A^{-1}b$.Now that we have more than $m$ variables, we can for starters set them to zero, giving us a first solution.And since we have a linear dependency in the columns, we can shift them around, giving us infinitely many solutions.This corresponds to moving along a boundary line of the feasible region.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

A linear programming problem is in canonical form if it's of the following form:

$$\pm \max (c_1 x_1+ \dots + c_n x_n) , c_1, \dots, c_n \in \mathbb{R} \\ Ax=b, A \in F^{m \times n}, x=\begin{bmatrix}
x_1\\
\dots\\
\dots \\
x_n
\end{bmatrix}, b=\begin{bmatrix}
b_1\\
\dots\\
\dots \\
b_m
\end{bmatrix}$$

$(A=[a_{ij}], a_{ij} \in \mathbb{R})$

$b_j \geq 0, j=1, \dots, m \\ x_i \geq 0, i=1, \dots, n$

$r(A)=m<n$

where $r(A)$ is the rank of the matrix $A$.

$r(A):=$ maximum number of linearly independent rows of the matrix $A$.First of all, could you explain me why it has to hold that $A \in F^{m \times n}$ where $F$ is the set of feasible solutions?
Doesn't $F$ contain only the $x$ s for which it holds that $Ax=b$ ? Or am I wrong?

Also, does the condition $r(A)=m<n$ imply that all the $m$ equations that we get from $Ax=b$ are not multiple the one of the other? Or have I understood it wrong? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
First of all, could you explain me why it has to hold that $A \in F^{m \times n}$ where $F$ is the set of feasible solutions?
Doesn't $F$ contain only the $x$ s for which it holds that $Ax=b$ ? Or am I wrong?

Hey evinda! (Smile)

It seems to me that the definitions are a bit mixed up. :eek:
I think $F$ is just a field, typically $\mathbb R$.
The set of feasible solutions is the set of all $x$ that satisfy $Ax=b, x_i \geq 0$, which is a subset of $F^n$.
And the matrix $A$ is an $m\times n$ matrix with elements of $F$, so $A \in F^{m\times n}$. (Mmm)
Also, does the condition $r(A)=m<n$ imply that all the $m$ equations that we get from $Ax=b$ are not multiple the one of the other? Or have I understood it wrong? (Thinking)

Even stronger, anyone of the equations cannot be a linear combinations of any of the other equations.
The equations have to be linearly independent.
And there have to be infinitely many solutions $x$ for $Ax=b$ (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

It seems to me that the definitions are a bit mixed up. :eek:
I think $F$ is just a field, typically $\mathbb R$.
The set of feasible solutions is the set of all $x$ that satisfy $Ax=b, x_i \geq 0$, which is a subset of $F^n$.
And the matrix $A$ is an $m\times n$ matrix with elements of $F$, so $A \in F^{m\times n}$. (Mmm)

Ah, I see... (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Even stronger, anyone of the equations cannot be a linear combinations of any of the other equations.

Any of the $m$ equations, right? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
And there have to be infinitely many solutions $x$ for $Ax=b$ (Nerd)

Why does this hold?

evinda said:
Any of the $m$ equations, right? (Thinking)

Exactly. (Nod)

Why does this hold?

Because $\operatorname{rank} A = m < n$.
That means more columns than rows, while the rows are independent.
In turn that means more variables than equations, which guarantees infinitely many solutions.

As an example, let's pick $F=\mathbb R, m=1, n=2$ and $2x+3y = 6$.
How many solutions does it have? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
As an example, let's pick $F=\mathbb R, m=1, n=2$ and $2x+3y = 6$.
How many solutions does it have? (Wondering)

Infinitely many... We can write the above equivalently as follows, right?

$\begin{bmatrix}
2 & 3
\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{bmatrix}=6$

How can we justify then that there are infinitely many solutions? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Infinitely many... We can write the above equivalently as follows, right?

$\begin{bmatrix}
2 & 3
\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{bmatrix}=6$

How can we justify then that there are infinitely many solutions? (Thinking)

Right. (Nod)

If we have $m$ independent equations with $m$ variables, there is a unique solution.
We can tell because if $A$ is square, the fact that the rows are independent means that it's invertible.
So $Ax=b \Rightarrow x = A^{-1}b$.

Now that we have more than $m$ variables, we can for starters set them to zero, giving us a first solution.
And since we have a linear dependency in the columns, we can shift them around, giving us infinitely many solutions.
This corresponds to moving along a boundary line of the feasible region. (Thinking)

FAQ: Exploring Canonical Form of Linear Programming

What is the canonical form of linear programming?

The canonical form of linear programming is a standard mathematical representation of a linear programming problem. It consists of a set of constraints and an objective function, which are all written in a specific format that allows for efficient solution using algorithms.

What are the advantages of using the canonical form?

There are several advantages to using the canonical form of linear programming. It allows for easy comparison and analysis of different problems, simplifies the process of solving the problem using algorithms, and makes it easier to identify the optimal solution and interpret the results.

How do you convert a linear programming problem into canonical form?

To convert a linear programming problem into canonical form, you need to follow a set of steps. First, identify the decision variables, constraints, and objective function of the problem. Then, rewrite the constraints and objective function in standard form, with all variables on the left side and constants on the right side. Finally, add slack or surplus variables to convert inequalities into equalities.

What are the types of canonical form in linear programming?

There are two types of canonical form in linear programming: standard form and slack form. In standard form, all variables are non-negative and the constraints are written as equalities. In slack form, variables can be positive or negative, and the constraints are written as inequalities with slack or surplus variables.

Can the canonical form be applied to non-linear programming problems?

No, the canonical form is specifically designed for linear programming problems, which involve linear constraints and a linear objective function. It cannot be applied to non-linear problems, where the constraints and/or objective function involve non-linear functions.