Exploring E+e- Annihilation: From Quark+Antiquark to Hadronization

• Thread starter eoghan
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion is about the process of e+e- annihilation into a quark-antiquark pair and the addition of QCD corrections that involve virtual and soft real gluon emissions. The soft gluon is responsible for resolving IR divergences, but it is not the cause of hadronization. Hadronization is a slower process that occurs after the initial collision and is associated with a lower energy scale. Our inability to accurately describe hadronization does not affect the initial process.
eoghan
e+e- --> quark+antiquark

Hi!
If I compute the cross section for the annihilation of e+e- in a photon which decays in a quark+antiquark, I find a well-behaved cross-section. However, if I add a QCD correction where the two quarks exchange a virtual gluon, then I find that for the cross-section to be finite in the IR region I have to consider also the emission of a real soft gluon.
Now, is it right to say that this soft real gluon is the responsible of the hadronization of the quarks?

Physics news on Phys.org

No,

The IR divergence that cancels when the soft gluon is included has nothing to do with the subsequqent hadronization of the quarks.

For example, this divergence happens also in the process [itex]e^{+}e^{-}->\mu^{+}\mu^{+}[/itex] when corrections with virtual photons are included and the emission of soft real photons have to considered in order for the cross section to be finite.

When a quark is created there is a certain probability of emitting a gluon and this probability is greater when the gluon is softer. This soft gluon can create a pair quark-antiquark and they can emit another gluon and so on. This should be the mechanism that leads to hadronization, although we are able to describe what happens just in the first part of the process. When a quark emits a gluon, in fact, it loses energy and going on further emissions the system lose its perturbative quality and so we lose our predictive power.

However, I think that the fact that the soft gluon is also fundamental to solve IR divergences is just a case. In fact, you have an equal situation for QED IR divergence (for example when you apply radiative corrections to coulumbian scattering) but in this case there is no such phenomenon as hadronization.

So the fact that we can't see free quarks, despite the cross section for producing a pair [itex]q\bar q[/itex] is so good, is that we can only describe what happens just in the first part of the process?

P.s. I'm reading http://moby.mib.infn.it/~oleari/public/QCD/appunti_corso/QCD_lectures_Nason.pdf page 19 top and 21 bottom

Last edited by a moderator:

The fact that we can't observe free quarks is due to the process of hadronization that I mentioned previously. Our ability to describe or not this physical process obviously doesn't affect the process itself. I just wanted to say that, however, we don't know exactly how hadronization works because we can't describe strong interactions in the low energy limit.

Hadronization is associated with a lower energy scale (few 100 MeV) than the collision in which the quarks are produced (few GeV at least) and therefore a longer timescale. Therefore, one can think of hadronization as a slower process which happens after the initial process and thus doesn't affect it properties (cross section, etc). Hope that gives some intuition.

Thank you!

Related to Exploring E+e- Annihilation: From Quark+Antiquark to Hadronization

1. What is E+e- annihilation and why is it important in physics?

E+e- annihilation is a process in which an electron and a positron collide and produce other particles. This process is important in physics because it allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions.

2. How does E+e- annihilation work?

In E+e- annihilation, the electron and positron annihilate each other and convert their mass into energy. This energy then creates new particles, such as quarks and antiquarks, which are the building blocks of protons, neutrons, and other hadrons.

3. What is the role of quarks and antiquarks in E+e- annihilation?

Quarks and antiquarks are the fundamental particles that make up hadrons. In E+e- annihilation, the energy produced from the collision is used to create these particles, allowing scientists to study their properties and interactions.

4. What is hadronization and why is it important in E+e- annihilation?

Hadronization is the process in which quarks and antiquarks combine to form hadrons, such as protons and neutrons. This process is important in E+e- annihilation because it allows scientists to study the behavior of these particles and how they are formed.

5. How is E+e- annihilation studied in experiments?

E+e- annihilation is studied using particle accelerators, which accelerate the electrons and positrons to high energies and collide them. The particles produced from the collisions are then detected and analyzed to understand the properties of the original particles and their interactions.