Exploring Eddies Current: Spheres and Cones Explained

• Thread starter Ziggey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, eddy currents are swirling electric currents that are induced in a conductive material when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. They are produced when a conductive material is exposed to a time-varying magnetic field and have various applications such as metal detection, non-destructive testing, and magnetic braking. However, in electrical equipment, eddy currents can cause energy loss and heating, but they can be controlled or reduced by using certain materials or techniques.
Ziggey
Hey guys I'm looking for. Some more info on eddies current. I understand how it works but all the examples I see use flat objects (coin shaped). Will eddies current still work in shapes like a sphere or cone?
Thank you,
Zig

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, eddy currents can exist in any geometry; the analysis is more difficult, and usually requires numerical methods.

Ok thank you!
Zig

FAQ: Exploring Eddies Current: Spheres and Cones Explained

What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are swirling electric currents that are induced in a conductive material when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How are eddy currents produced?

Eddy currents are produced when a conductive material is exposed to a time-varying magnetic field, typically caused by the movement or change in direction of a magnet or a changing current in a nearby coil.

What are the applications of eddy currents?

Eddy currents have several practical applications, including metal detection, non-destructive testing, and magnetic braking in trains and roller coasters.

How do eddy currents affect electrical equipment?

In electrical equipment, eddy currents can cause energy loss and heating, which can reduce the efficiency of the equipment and potentially cause damage if not controlled.

Can eddy currents be controlled or reduced?

Yes, eddy currents can be controlled or reduced by using materials with low electrical conductivity, laminating conductive materials, or using magnetic shielding to redirect the magnetic field.