Exploring Fluid Dynamics: Homework Statement and Equations

In summary, the student is trying to find the equation for the y-coordinate of a point in space where the velocity is the same at all points.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-6_19-23-1.png

upload_2017-3-6_19-23-31.png

Homework Equations

upload_2017-3-6_19-24-8.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. I don't understand the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned that the speed of the flow is proportional to the magnitude of the gradient of the stream function?

Chestermiller said:
Have you learned that the speed of the flow is proportional to the magnitude of the gradient of the stream function?
do you mean

V^2=u^2+v^2

where
upload_2017-3-6_19-42-50.png

shreddinglicks said:
do you mean

V^2=u^2+v^2

where
View attachment 114202
Yes. But you need to express theta in terms of x and y to evaluate these derivatives.(except, of course, far upstream).

Chestermiller said:
Yes. But you need to express theta in terms of x and y to evaluate these derivatives.(except, of course, far upstream).
So would it be better to use
upload_2017-3-6_19-48-8.png

and make y = rsin(theta)

Chestermiller said:
Wait, I see what you mean
upload_2017-3-6_19-54-29.png

Chestermiller said:
Good.
upload_2017-3-6_20-13-48.png

Chestermiller said:
I'm not going to check your math. I leave it to you to get the math correct.
That's fine. I'm not here to learn math. Since I now have V^2 what do I do from here? I still don't understand the question I need to solve.

You need to show that, at the x and y corresponding to theta = 66.8 degrees and psi = 0, the speed is the same as at y = 0, x = infinity

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
You need to show that, at the x and y corresponding to theta = 66.8 degrees and psi = 0, the speed is the same as at y = 0, x = - infinity
So I know at a large value of -x and y= o that my V^2 is equal to 1.

would it be appropriate to sub in
x=rcos(theta)
y=rsin(theta)
r=x^2+y^2
and then plug in 66.8 = theta

shreddinglicks said:
So I know at a large value of -x and y= o that my V^2 is equal to 1.

would it be appropriate to sub in
x=rcos(theta)
y=rsin(theta)
r=x^2+y^2
and then plug in 66.8 = theta
You have to evaluate it at psi = 0.

Chestermiller said:
You have to evaluate it at psi = 0.
Bernoulli eq?

shreddinglicks said:
Bernoulli eq?
What about it?

Chestermiller said:
What about it?
The only thing I can think of that would relate the velocity eq and pressure would be that. Is that what I should be using?

shreddinglicks said:
The only thing I can think of that would relate the velocity eq and pressure would be that. Is that what I should be using?
No. You should be setting psi = 0 and theta = 66.8 degrees (in radians). This gives you an equation for y. Once you know y and theta, you know x.

Chestermiller said:
No. You should be setting psi = 0 and theta = 66.8 degrees (in radians). This gives you an equation for y. Once you know y and theta, you know x.
I see exactly what you mean. I must be losing my mind thinking psi is pressure. I did exactly what you said and got x and y. I plugged into the the V^2 equation and got 1 as my answer.

Thanks for helping me. I can sleep easy tonight. You are the man Chestermiller!

FAQ: Exploring Fluid Dynamics: Homework Statement and Equations

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, behave and interact with each other when they are in motion. It involves understanding the physical properties of fluids and how they flow, as well as the forces and energy involved.

2. What is the purpose of exploring fluid dynamics?

The purpose of exploring fluid dynamics is to gain a deeper understanding of how fluids behave, which is important for various scientific and engineering fields such as aerospace, meteorology, and medicine. It also has practical applications in designing efficient transportation systems, developing new technologies, and predicting natural phenomena.

3. What are some key equations used in fluid dynamics?

Some key equations used in fluid dynamics include the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids, and the Euler equations, which describe inviscid flow. Other important equations include the continuity equation, Bernoulli's equation, and the ideal gas law.

4. How is fluid dynamics related to other branches of science?

Fluid dynamics is closely related to other branches of science such as thermodynamics, mechanics, and electromagnetism. It also has applications in various fields including chemistry, biology, and geology. Understanding fluid dynamics can also help explain and predict phenomena in these fields.

5. How can I apply fluid dynamics in my research or work?

Depending on your field, you may be able to apply fluid dynamics in various ways. For example, if you are a researcher in aerospace engineering, you may use fluid dynamics to design more efficient aircraft. If you are a meteorologist, you may use fluid dynamics to study weather patterns. In general, understanding fluid dynamics can help you better understand and analyze systems involving fluids, and potentially improve their performance.