Exploring Homogeneous Equations and Unique Solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homogeneous
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of uniqueness in solving a homogeneous linear differential equation. It is explained that to prove uniqueness, it is necessary to show that the differential operator has only a trivial solution. The method of finding the characteristic equation and its eigenvalues is also mentioned, along with the different types of solutions that can arise depending on the multiplicity of the eigenvalues. The question of whether the solution is unique or not is raised, and it is clarified that a homogeneous linear differential equation can have multiple linearly independent solutions.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I saw in my notes the part that to show the uniqueness we have to prove that $Lx=0$ has only trivial solution.
($L$ is the differential operator)

To solve the homogeneous equation $$\sum_{k=0}^m \alpha_k x^{(k)}(z)=0$$ we find the characteristic equation and its eigenvalues $\lambda_1, \dots , \lambda_m$.

- If $\lambda_1, \dots , \lambda_m$ are eigenvalues of multiplicity $1$, then the solution of $Lx(z)=0$ is $$x_{H}(z)=\sum_{i=1}^m c_i e^{\lambda_i z}.$$
- If $\lambda_i$ is an eigenvalues of multiplicity $M>1$, then the $$e^{\lambda_i z}, ze^{\lambda_i z}, z^2e^{\lambda_i z}, \dots , z^{M-1}e^{\lambda_i z}$$ are $M$ linear independent solutions of $Lx(z)=0$. So aren't there also solutions other than $x=0$ ? Does this mean that the solution is not unique? Or have I understood it wrong? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I saw in my notes the part that to show the uniqueness we have to prove that $Lx=0$ has only trivial solution.
($L$ is the differential operator)

To solve the homogeneous equation $$\sum_{k=0}^m \alpha_k x^{(k)}(z)=0$$ we find the characteristic equation and its eigenvalues $\lambda_1, \dots , \lambda_m$.

- If $\lambda_1, \dots , \lambda_m$ are eigenvalues of multiplicity $1$, then the solution of $Lx(z)=0$ is $$x_{H}(z)=\sum_{i=1}^m c_i e^{\lambda_i z}.$$
- If $\lambda_i$ is an eigenvalues of multiplicity $M>1$, then the $$e^{\lambda_i z}, ze^{\lambda_i z}, z^2e^{\lambda_i z}, \dots , z^{M-1}e^{\lambda_i z}$$ are $M$ linear independent solutions of $Lx(z)=0$. So aren't there also solutions other than $x=0$ ? Does this mean that the solution is not unique? Or have I understood it wrong? (Wondering)

Hi mathmari, :)

I am not getting what you are trying to prove here. A homogeneous linear differential equation of the $n-th$ order would have a characteristic equation of order $n$. This would give it $n$ linearly independent solutions. Thus the general solution will be the sum of all the linearly independent solutions. It is not true that a homogeneous linear differential equation has only the trivial solution.

Related to Exploring Homogeneous Equations and Unique Solutions

1. What is a homogeneous equation?

A homogeneous equation is a mathematical equation in which all the terms are of the same degree. This means that the variables in the equation have the same exponent or power.

2. How is a homogeneous equation different from a non-homogeneous equation?

A non-homogeneous equation is one in which the terms are not of the same degree. This means that the variables in the equation have different exponents or powers. Additionally, a homogeneous equation always has a solution of 0, while a non-homogeneous equation may have a non-zero solution.

3. What is the process for solving a homogeneous equation?

The process for solving a homogeneous equation involves finding the roots of the equation by setting each term equal to 0. This will result in a system of linear equations which can be solved using methods such as substitution or elimination. The solutions to these equations will be the values of the variables that make the equation homogeneous.

4. What is the importance of finding unique solutions in a homogeneous equation?

Finding unique solutions in a homogeneous equation is important because it allows us to determine the exact values of the variables in the equation. This is essential in many scientific and mathematical applications, as it allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations.

5. How can I check if a solution to a homogeneous equation is unique?

To check if a solution to a homogeneous equation is unique, we can use the concept of linear independence. If the coefficients of the terms in the equation are linearly independent, then the solution will be unique. This means that no other combination of the coefficients can result in the same solution.