Exploring Injury Criteria in Biomechanics

In summary, biomechanics is the study of how living organisms move and the forces that act upon them. It is important to study injury criteria in biomechanics as it helps in developing preventative measures and treatments for injuries. These criteria are determined through experiments and simulations on human subjects or anatomical models. Some common injury criteria used in biomechanics include the Head Injury Criterion (HIC), Neck Injury Criterion (NIC), and Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS). These criteria can be applied in real world settings to develop safety standards, design protective gear, and improve medical treatments and rehabilitation strategies for injuries.
Denis Lafont
Hi
I am working at the moment on injury criteria. In the biomechanics domain the risk curve used is often a logistic regression. But this modelisation of the data is inconsistent not only because P(0) ≠ 0 but mainly because a bad information for exemple around a probability of 80 % will change largely the 10 % region and in the wrong direction: the 10 % limit decreases when we add a point: no injury for a high value of the parameter, it should of course increase since it is logical to find that the risk decreases when we add information corresponding to a no_injury result.
This is due to the fact that the logistics curve is antisymmetric 1-P(x)=P(2m-x) and that it uses only two parameters. So would you know one (or more) equation(s) not antisymmetric which could be used as "risk cuves".
I tried also normal, lognormal and Weibull equation. Only the Weibull curve with 3 parameters could answer the question but as this last equation presents a discontinuity it cannot be computed automatically very easily.

Thank you for your help. Sorry for my English.

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this important issue regarding injury criteria in biomechanics. As a scientist in this field, I understand the challenges and limitations of using logistic regression as a risk curve model. While it is widely used, it does have its drawbacks, as you have mentioned.

In order to address this issue, I suggest exploring alternative models that may better fit the data and provide more accurate risk predictions. One option could be using a non-parametric approach, such as a kernel density estimation, which does not make assumptions about the underlying distribution of the data. This could potentially provide a more realistic risk curve without the limitations of a parametric model.

Another possibility could be using a Bayesian approach, which allows for the incorporation of prior knowledge and can handle complex data distributions. This could potentially provide a more robust and accurate risk curve for injury criteria.

I also suggest consulting with other experts in the field and collaborating on research to find alternative models or improve upon existing ones. Collaboration and open communication within the scientific community is crucial for advancing our understanding and methods in biomechanics.

Thank you for raising this important issue and I hope this helps in your research. Best of luck to you.

Related to Exploring Injury Criteria in Biomechanics

1. What is biomechanics?

Biomechanics is the study of how living organisms move and the forces that act upon them. It combines principles of mechanics, physics, and biology to understand how the body responds to external forces and internal stresses.

2. Why is it important to study injury criteria in biomechanics?

Understanding injury criteria in biomechanics is crucial in developing preventative measures and treatments for injuries. By studying how forces and stresses affect the body, we can identify risk factors and design strategies to reduce the likelihood of injury.

3. How are injury criteria determined in biomechanics research?

Injury criteria in biomechanics are often determined through experiments and simulations on human subjects or anatomical models. These studies measure the forces and stresses on different body parts during various activities and correlate them with known injuries to establish injury thresholds.

4. What are some common injury criteria used in biomechanics?

Some commonly used injury criteria in biomechanics include the Head Injury Criterion (HIC) for head injuries, the Neck Injury Criterion (NIC) for neck injuries, and the Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS) for overall injury severity. Other criteria may focus on specific body regions or types of injuries.

5. How can injury criteria in biomechanics be applied in real world settings?

Injury criteria in biomechanics can be applied in a variety of ways, including developing safety standards for equipment and vehicles, designing protective gear for athletes, and creating guidelines for safe work practices. They can also be used to improve medical treatments for injuries and inform rehabilitation strategies.