Exploring K-Space & Momentum Space in Crystals

In summary, the equation states that the "crystal momentum" of a particle is equal to the product of its "k"-vector and the "r"-vector of its position in momentum space. This momentum vector is independent of the particle's actual momentum.
seang
Hi,

I am having trouble understanding some things about k-space or momentum space in a crystal. The trouble began when I was first introduced to the Bloch theorem, a few weeks back.

It is:

[tex]\psi_{n\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r})=e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}}u_{n\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r}).[/tex]

In this equation, there is k, which is a vector in momentum space (?). Is it also a vector representing the quantum numbers? (i.e., are the momentum space vector components the quantum numbers of a particular solution of Schrodinger's equation?). Does this mean that in an E(k) plot, as you traverse a particular direction of k, you are traversing the quantum states of the system?

Also, the notation suggests that k is independent of r. In a crystal lattice with a periodic potential, if you move an electron around would not its momentum change also? I guess I'm not sure how the momentum and position of a particle in a crystal are independent of each other.

This MUST sound pretty vague, but there is something I'm not quite getting here. Thanks a lot for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
seang said:
Hi,

I am having trouble understanding some things about k-space or momentum space in a crystal. The trouble began when I was first introduced to the Bloch theorem, a few weeks back.

It is:

[tex]\psi_{n\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r})=e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}}u_{n\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r}).[/tex]

In this equation, there is k, which is a vector in momentum space (?). Is it also a vector representing the quantum numbers? (i.e., are the momentum space vector components the quantum numbers of a particular solution of Schrodinger's equation?). Does this mean that in an E(k) plot, as you traverse a particular direction of k, you are traversing the quantum states of the system?

Also, the notation suggests that k is independent of r. In a crystal lattice with a periodic potential, if you move an electron around would not its momentum change also? I guess I'm not sure how the momentum and position of a particle in a crystal are independent of each other.

This MUST sound pretty vague, but there is something I'm not quite getting here. Thanks a lot for your help.

The vector [itex]\bold{k}[/itex] is "crystal momentum" which is not the same as the actual momentum of a particle. The fact that the electron's real momentum will change as it moves about in the crystal is encoded in the periodic function [itex]u[/itex]; if you act with the actual momentum operator [itex]-i\nabla[/itex] on [itex]\psi[/itex] you find a term proportional to [itex]\bold{k}[/itex], but also a term proportional to [itex]\nabla u[/itex].

I'm having problems with the whole idea of momentum space, at the most elementary level. I would appreciate some help, please.

Related to Exploring K-Space & Momentum Space in Crystals

1. What is K-space and momentum space in crystals?

K-space and momentum space are mathematical representations of the motion of electrons in a crystal lattice. K-space represents the allowed energy states of electrons in a crystal, while momentum space represents the allowed momentum values.

2. Why is it important to explore K-space and momentum space in crystals?

Exploring K-space and momentum space in crystals allows scientists to understand the electronic properties and behavior of materials. This information is crucial in developing new materials for technological applications, such as in electronics and energy storage.

3. How is K-space and momentum space in crystals experimentally measured?

K-space and momentum space are typically measured using techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM). These techniques allow for the visualization and characterization of the electronic properties of crystals at the atomic scale.

4. What are some practical applications of studying K-space and momentum space in crystals?

Studying K-space and momentum space in crystals has practical applications in various fields, including materials science, nanotechnology, and solid state physics. It can also help in the development of new materials for energy storage, optoelectronics, and quantum computing.

5. How does the band structure of a crystal relate to K-space and momentum space?

The band structure of a crystal is a graph that shows the allowed energy states of electrons in a crystal as a function of their momentum. This relationship between energy and momentum can be visualized in K-space and momentum space, making these mathematical representations essential in understanding the electronic properties of materials.