Exploring Mars: Gravity & Space Mechanics

In summary, Scientists have calculated that the gravity on Mars is approximately 38% compared to Earth. This has been proven through mathematical calculations and observations of the planet's two moons. There have also been multiple spacecrafts that have landed on Mars, providing more precise information about the planet's gravity. While it is not necessary to land on Mars to confirm its gravity, it is a direct way to measure it. However, there are limitations in measuring gravity, so the product of the Gravitational Constant and the mass of Mars is often used for computing orbits.
Coda
Scientist says that gravity on Mars is around 38% compare to Earth. Is they proof this merely by caculation?

I not sure whether scientist really land any space mechanic/machine on Mars, if yes, can someone provide me the information?

Your help is much appreaciate, thanks :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Coda said:
Scientist says that gravity on Mars is around 38% compare to Earth. Is they proof this merely by caculation?

I not sure whether scientist really land any space mechanic/machine on Mars, if yes, can someone provide me the information?

Yes we can caluclate the approximate force of gravity a planet in our solar system has (or even objects outside our solar system given enough observation time).

Yes we also have landed crafts on Mars. Many times actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars#Exploration

Figuring out the mass of Mars is easy: it has moons. By observing the orbit of its two moons, scientists calculated the mass of the planet long before anybody dreamed of building spacecraft to explore it. As Sorry mentioned, there have been a lot of spacecraft sent to Mars, and their orbits give even more precise information about the planet's gravity. See this wonderful gravity map, for instance: http://img253.imageshack.us/i/gravityfieldle7.jpg/

It shows differences in the acceleration of gravity as small as 0.001 m/s^2

Coda said:

You don't even need to test it by landing on mars, you can find it out mathematically.

[tex]g=-\frac{GM}{r^{2}}[/tex]

Stratosphere said:
You don't even need to test it by landing on mars, you can find it out mathematically.

Theorists! They never appreciate a good experimental proof!

"Viking 1" & "Viking 2" proved the Martian surface gravity was about 3.71 m.s-2 via landing there. Other probes have followed, but no others have used retro-rockets all the way to touch-down.

Thx for the information you provide, I have been learning alot.

Anyway graal, does the rockets have to be touch-down to the planet to confirm the exactly gravity amount?

Stratosphere said:

I don't like this argument, because there is no measurement of M. What's actually measured is g, and from that M is inferred.

What's missing in this discussion is that we know g from direct observation, and have since 1877. There are two objects where we can see them fall and measure their acceleration - Deimos and Phobos, the two moons of Mars.

Coda said:
Thx for the information you provide, I have been learning alot.

Anyway graal, does the rockets have to be touch-down to the planet to confirm the exactly gravity amount?

Well you did ask if it had been directly measured. That's as direct a measurement as you can get. But if you can monitor the orbits of anything nearby a planet, then you can work out the surface gravity fairly simply via Newton's equations. Not direct, but always trustworthy within the limits of measurement error.

One thing in science is the presence of limitations of measurement. The Gravitational Constant, G, is a notoriously difficult constant to measure and is best avoided whenever possible for high precision tasks. Fortunately GM, the product of G and the mass of any particular planet, is usually known to very high precision, so it is used when computing orbits.

Related to Exploring Mars: Gravity & Space Mechanics

1. What is the gravity like on Mars?

The gravity on Mars is about 38% of the gravity on Earth. This means that objects will weigh less on Mars compared to Earth.

2. How does the gravity on Mars affect space travel?

The lower gravity on Mars makes it easier for spacecraft to take off and land compared to Earth. However, it also means that objects may move differently and require different calculations for navigation.

3. How do scientists study the gravity on Mars?

Scientists use instruments such as gravimeters and accelerometers to measure the gravitational pull on Mars. They also study the movement of objects and spacecraft to understand how gravity affects them.

4. Can humans live on Mars with its lower gravity?

While the lower gravity on Mars may initially seem beneficial, it can have negative effects on the human body over a long period of time. It can lead to muscle and bone loss, as well as other health issues. More research is needed to fully understand the effects of living in lower gravity on humans.

5. How does the gravity on Mars compare to other planets?

The gravity on Mars is about 38% of the gravity on Earth, but it is still stronger than the gravity on the Moon, which is about 16% of Earth's gravity. It is also weaker than the gravity on Venus and Mars, which are similar to Earth's gravity.