Exploring NGC and Messier Objects: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter A_I_
  • Start date
In summary, NGC stands for New General Catalogue and is a catalog of astronomical objects used by researchers to identify and study celestial objects. Objects in the catalogue are classified based on their appearance and characteristics, and it is constantly being updated and expanded. Amateur astronomers can also contribute to the catalogue by reporting new objects, but their findings must be verified by professionals.
A_I_
hey i just have one question
next fall I am going into university
to start studying astronomy
and major then in astrophysics
and i would like to start from now to study the
NEW GENERAL CATALOG of galaxies (NGC)
and the MESSIER objects

if someone can give me the link of the complete list
for both
i would appreciate it
thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Try here:
http://www.seds.org/~spider/ngc/ngc.html

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Exploring NGC and Messier Objects: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is NGC in the context of a simple question?

NGC stands for New General Catalogue and refers to a catalogue of astronomical objects, including galaxies, star clusters, and nebulae. It was first published in 1888 and has been updated and expanded over the years.

2. How is NGC used in scientific research?

NGC is used by astronomers and astrophysicists to identify and study celestial objects. It provides a standardized naming system and cataloguing system for these objects, making it easier for researchers to communicate and share their findings.

3. How are objects in the NGC catalogue classified?

Objects in the NGC catalogue are classified based on their appearance and characteristics, such as shape, size, and brightness. Galaxies, for example, are classified into different types based on their shape (spiral, elliptical, irregular) and arrangement of stars.

4. Is the NGC catalogue complete?

No, the NGC catalogue is not complete. It is constantly being updated and expanded as new objects are discovered and more precise measurements are made. Additionally, some objects may be missing from the catalogue due to human error or limitations in technology.

5. Can amateur astronomers contribute to the NGC catalogue?

Yes, amateur astronomers can contribute to the NGC catalogue by discovering and reporting new objects. However, their findings must be verified and confirmed by professional astronomers before they are included in the official catalogue.