Exploring P-Branes: What Do We Know?

• Thread starter alexsok
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses the role of p-branes in string theory and how they affect the size of the universe. It also includes a discussion about the definition of p-brane space and an explanation of the extra dimensions in the type I string framework. The concept of p-branes is specific to the braneworld scenario in string theory and may not be applicable in other contexts. The extra dimensions, both parallel and transverse, play a crucial role in the behavior of strings and gravity and have varying sizes.
alexsok
Earlier today, i had a coup doeil through the following article:
http://cerncourier.com/main/article/43/6/15/1

While most of it was clear as sun, certain issue did arise, and i'd like you guys to crystalise those to me.

A crucial role in these developments was played by the discovery of "p-branes", which are higher dimensional objects extended in p spatial dimensions, so generalizing the notion of a point particle (p = 0) or a string (p = 1). One of the main consequences of this discovery is that the string scale is, in general, a free parameter that can be dissociated from the Planck mass if the universe is localized on a p-brane and does not feel all the extra dimensions of string theory. The braneworld description of our universe separates the dimensions of space into two groups: those that extend along our p-braneworld, called parallel dimensions, and those transverse to it. Obviously the parallel ones must contain at least the three known dimensions of space, but they may contain more.

I've been told by emeritus in particle physics, the following:
d-branes float in subspace orthogonal to 'our' classical 3 dimensions space. the direct sum of the classical 3-dimensions space with d-brane spaces give the p-brane space

So my first question is conspicuously carnassial: does this definition hold true for all cases, or it could manifest itself elsewhere? Is it even correct to define the p-brane space in such a way?

My second question is more of a request for a better explanation and requires the following figure.
cernstr4_7-03.jpg

In the type I string framework, our universe contains (besides the three known spatial dimensions; denoted by a single blue line) some extra dimensions (dII = p-3) parallel to our world p-brane (green plane), along which the light described by open strings propagates, as well as some transverse dimensions (yellow space), where only gravity described by closed strings can propagate. The longitudinal extra dimensions have a string size of about 10-18 m, while the size of the transverse dimensions varies between 10-14 m and a fraction of a millimetre.

Could anyone here put it in a more familiar language?

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions on the article about p-branes. I am a scientist in the field of particle physics and would be happy to clarify some of the concepts you mentioned.

To answer your first question, the definition of p-brane space as the direct sum of classical 3-dimensional space and d-brane spaces is generally correct. However, it is important to note that this concept is specific to the braneworld scenario in string theory. In other contexts, p-branes may be defined differently or may not even exist. It is always important to consider the context and framework in which a concept is being discussed.

As for your second question, let me try to explain it in simpler terms. In the type I string framework, our universe is described as a p-brane (green plane) with extra dimensions (yellow space) parallel and transverse to it. These extra dimensions are not directly observable to us, but they play a crucial role in the behavior of strings and gravity. The size of these extra dimensions varies, with the parallel dimensions having a size of about 10-18 m and the transverse dimensions having a size between 10-14 m and a fraction of a millimeter.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concepts you were struggling with. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to elaborate on any specific points. It is always exciting to see others interested in the complexities of string theory and the potential implications for our understanding of the universe. Keep exploring and questioning!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on exploring p-branes. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept and its implications in string theory. To address your first question, the definition of p-branes as higher dimensional objects extended in p spatial dimensions is generally correct. However, there are different types of p-branes, such as D-branes, NS-branes, and M-branes, which have different properties and dimensions. So while the general concept of a p-brane is true for all cases, the specific dimensions and properties may vary depending on the type of p-brane.

As for your second question, the figure you have shared is a visualization of the braneworld scenario in type I string theory. It shows our universe (the blue line) as a p-brane with three known spatial dimensions, surrounded by extra dimensions (yellow space) where gravity can propagate through closed strings. The parallel dimensions (green plane) are where open strings can propagate and are responsible for the other forces in our universe. The size of these extra dimensions can vary, with the longitudinal dimensions being much smaller than the transverse dimensions. In simpler terms, the figure is showing how our universe exists within a larger dimensional space, and the different types of strings that can propagate in each dimension.

I hope this helps clarify some of your doubts about p-branes. Keep exploring and learning about this fascinating concept in string theory!

Related to Exploring P-Branes: What Do We Know?

1. What are P-branes?

P-branes, also known as p-dimensional branes, are theoretical objects in string theory that are believed to be extended, multidimensional structures that can exist in different dimensions. They can have different numbers of dimensions, such as 0-branes (point-like objects), 1-branes (strings), 2-branes (membranes), and so on.

2. How are P-branes different from particles?

P-branes are fundamentally different from particles in that they are extended objects as opposed to point particles. This means that they have more degrees of freedom and can interact with each other in more complex ways. Additionally, P-branes can wrap around other dimensions, while particles are confined to their own dimension.

3. What are the implications of P-branes in string theory?

P-branes play a crucial role in string theory as they help to unify the different string theories and provide a framework for understanding the interactions between different objects in the universe. They also have implications for the concept of extra dimensions and the idea of a multidimensional universe.

4. How do scientists study P-branes?

Scientists study P-branes through various mathematical and theoretical models, as well as through experiments with high-energy particle colliders. They also use techniques such as duality, which relates different string theories and allows for a better understanding of P-branes.

5. What do we currently know about P-branes?

While there is still much to be discovered and understood, scientists have made significant progress in understanding P-branes and their role in string theory. We know that P-branes can exist in different dimensions, can interact with each other, and play a crucial role in unifying different string theories. However, further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the nature of P-branes and their implications for our understanding of the universe.