Exploring Pneumatics Engineering: From Ice Jacking to Air Bubble Systems

• Thread starter downeast
  • Start date
In summary, pneumatics engineering is a field that involves using compressed air or gases to power mechanical systems and devices. It has been used for various applications, from lifting heavy loads with ice jacking to creating air bubble systems for underwater operations. Pneumatics has also been integrated into everyday technology, such as in car brakes and industrial machinery. Advances in this field continue to revolutionize industries and improve efficiency in various processes.
downeast
How did you find PF?
Found PF with Google search for Pneumatics Engineering Forums.
My current project involves making an air bubble system to protect stationary docks from ice heave or ice jacking during the winter months. Ice jacking is the vertical lift as ice expands. When around piles supporting stationary docks, it can wreak havoc.

This forum looks like a great place to post a few questings related to pneumatics engineering. I am a software developer architect by trade, and the only real pneumatics understanding I have is the research I have done over the last couple of weeks for this project. I have found lots of great online information, including such things as elevation by location, air pressure at altitude, fresh water pressure at depth, air flow rate through an orifice, pressure drop calculation in a looped pipe network, and the list goes on.

Pneumatics engineering is a fascinating subject, and since starting this project I found that I can't stop reading about it, even going on tangents that have little value to my current project.

I look forward to reading and contributing to topics presented here.

Jim

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. It's good to have you here. :smile:

The Mechanical Engineering forum is probably the best place to post your thread about the bubbling application. We have a number of boaters here at PF and also great ME resources. Enjoy!