Exploring possibilities of positive foil for stripping electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a negatively charged foil to negatively charge particles and the potential benefits of this method in simplifying an induction linear accelerator. There is a lack of information on this topic and the conversation ends with a request for further knowledge on negatively charging particles without diminishing their momentum.
Strat-O
Hello,

I'm thinking of some alternative ways of accelerating particles. I know that it's quite common to have accelerated particles pass along a positively charged foil which strips the electrons of the particles and reverses the particle's polarity.

Is there a way to do the opposite? I.e. have positively charged particles pass along a negatively charged foil to negatively charge the particles?

My (perhaps naive) thinking is if you could do this you could simplify an induction linear accelerator and allow it to run continuously instead of in a pulsed mode. The idea would be alternate the negative and positive foils. Place a foil abeam of a core and an oppositely charged foil halfway between two cores. And in operation a particle is attracted to a core and once it arrives it's polarity gets reversed and it gets repelled from the same core it was attracted too. Meanwhile, the next core in line is weakly repelling the particle until it gets halfway and it's polarity gets reversed suddenly it's attracted to it. (the previous core is also attracting it but the particle maintains its momentum and as it nears the next core the attraction gets stronger.

Marlin

Physics news on Phys.org
As I research this further I see that there is a lot of information on electron stripping foils but almost no information on foils that "donate" electrons to moving particles. Anyone know of a way to negatively charge a nucleus in motion without diminishing its momentum appreciably?

I would have thought that having a positively charged particle pass next to a negatively charged foil, that the particle could gain enough electrons to at least become neutral and perhaps gain one or two more to become negative. However, I find no evidence of this in my literature searching.

Marlin

Related to Exploring possibilities of positive foil for stripping electrons

What is a positive foil and how does it strip electrons?

A positive foil is a thin sheet or film made of a conductive material such as metal. When an electron passes through the foil, it can transfer some of its energy to the foil, causing it to lose an electron. This process is known as stripping electrons.

What are the potential benefits of using a positive foil for stripping electrons?

Using a positive foil for stripping electrons has several potential benefits. It can be more efficient and precise than other methods of electron stripping, and it can also reduce the amount of energy required for the process. Additionally, it may be less damaging to the surrounding environment compared to other methods.

What are the challenges associated with exploring positive foil for stripping electrons?

One challenge is finding the right material for the foil that can effectively strip electrons while also being cost-effective and environmentally friendly. Another challenge is developing a reliable and efficient method for producing and using the foil. Further research and testing are needed to address these challenges.

How does positive foil for stripping electrons relate to other scientific fields?

Positive foil for stripping electrons has applications in several scientific fields such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and materials science. It can also have potential applications in industries such as energy production and medical imaging.

What are the potential future developments in the use of positive foil for stripping electrons?

As research in this field continues, there may be advancements in the materials used for the foil, as well as improvements in the production and application methods. Additionally, there may be further discoveries of potential uses for positive foil in different industries and scientific fields.