Exploring Proposition 6.1.7 and its Proof in Bland's "Rings and Their Modules"

In summary, it follows that \bigcap_\mathscr{S} \text{ann}_r(S) \subseteq J(R), where \bigcap_\mathscr{S} is the set of all subrings of R.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 6.1 The Jacobson Radical ... ...

I need help with the proof of Proposition 6.1.7 ... Proposition 6.1.7 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 6396
View attachment 6397In the above text from Bland, in the proof of (1), we read the following: " ... ... we see that \(\displaystyle \text{ann}_r( R / \mathfrak{m} ) = \text{ann}_r(S)\). But \(\displaystyle a \in \text{ann}_r( R / \mathfrak{m} )\) implies that \(\displaystyle a + \mathfrak{m} = ( 1 + \mathfrak{m} ) a = 0\) , so \(\displaystyle a \in \mathfrak{m}\).

So, it follows that \(\displaystyle \bigcap_\mathscr{S} \text{ann}_r(S) \subseteq J(R)\) ... ... "
Could someone please explain why it follows that \(\displaystyle \bigcap_\mathscr{S} \text{ann}_r(S) \subseteq J(R)\) ... ... ? Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 6.1 The Jacobson Radical ... ...

I need help with the proof of Proposition 6.1.7 ... Proposition 6.1.7 and its proof read as follows:
In the above text from Bland, in the proof of (1), we read the following: " ... ... we see that \(\displaystyle \text{ann}_r( R / \mathfrak{m} ) = \text{ann}_r(S)\). But \(\displaystyle a \in \text{ann}_r( R / \mathfrak{m} )\) implies that \(\displaystyle a + \mathfrak{m} = ( 1 + \mathfrak{m} ) a = 0\) , so \(\displaystyle a \in \mathfrak{m}\).

So, it follows that \(\displaystyle \bigcap_\mathscr{S} \text{ann}_r(S) \subseteq J(R)\) ... ... "
Could someone please explain why it follows that \(\displaystyle \bigcap_\mathscr{S} \text{ann}_r(S) \subseteq J(R)\) ... ... ? Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Just some thoughts ...

Since \(\displaystyle \text{ann}_r( R / \mathfrak{m} ) = \text{ann}_r(S)\)

we have \(\displaystyle a \in \text{ann}_r( R / \mathfrak{m} )\) means \(\displaystyle a \in \text{ann}_r(S)\) ...

thus \(\displaystyle a \in \bigcap_\mathscr{S} \text{ann}_r(S)\) ... ...

But ... we also have that \(\displaystyle a \in \text{ann}_r( R / \mathfrak{m} )\) implies that \(\displaystyle a \in \mathfrak{m}\) ... ...

But this means that \(\displaystyle a \in J(R)\) ...

Thus \(\displaystyle a \in \bigcap_\mathscr{S} \text{ann}_r(S) \Longrightarrow a \in J(R)\) ... ...

So \(\displaystyle \bigcap_\mathscr{S} \text{ann}_r(S) \subseteq J(R)\) ...Is that correct?

Peter

Last edited:

Related to Exploring Proposition 6.1.7 and its Proof in Bland's "Rings and Their Modules"

1. What is Proposition 6.1.7 in Bland's "Rings and Their Modules"?

Proposition 6.1.7 in Bland's "Rings and Their Modules" is a mathematical statement that describes the relationship between rings and their modules.

2. How is Proposition 6.1.7 proven in Bland's "Rings and Their Modules"?

Proposition 6.1.7 is proven in Bland's "Rings and Their Modules" using various mathematical techniques and logical reasoning.

3. What is the significance of Proposition 6.1.7 in the study of rings and modules?

Proposition 6.1.7 is significant because it provides a fundamental understanding of the structure and properties of rings and their modules, which are essential concepts in abstract algebra.

4. How does Proposition 6.1.7 relate to other propositions or theorems in Bland's "Rings and Their Modules"?

Proposition 6.1.7 may be related to other propositions or theorems in Bland's "Rings and Their Modules" as it builds upon previous concepts and results, and may also serve as a foundation for future mathematical developments.

5. Can Proposition 6.1.7 be applied to other areas of mathematics?

Yes, the concepts and techniques used in Proposition 6.1.7 and its proof can be applied to other areas of mathematics, such as linear algebra and commutative algebra.