Exploring Quantum Graphity Models: Bridging Locality, Geometry, and Relativity

In summary, quantum graphity models propose that locality and geometry are not fundamental in the Universe and only emerge after a phase transition. While it is currently only a model and not a fully developed theory, it challenges our traditional understanding of space and time and could potentially lead to new insights and discoveries. The concept of an external time in these models may be difficult to grasp, but it is worth exploring different possibilities in order to better understand the fundamental principles of the Universe.
currojimenez
Hello all

After reading different things about Bell inequalities, EPR like experiments and the tension with relativity I have discovered the quantum graphity models (http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0611197) where locality and geometry are not fundamental in the Universe and appear only after a phase transition.

As far as I know at the moment it is only a model, similar to Ising one, and not a theory.

However it recovers some intuitions that are growing in my mind after reading more and more about these topics:
1. Locality has only sense in a geometry (where a distance can be defined)
2. Locality is not fundamental or at least it is violated in certain circunstances (EPR, interaction free measurement, delayed choice etc)
3. In consequence geometry it isn't fundamental either.

My only question with this model is the existence of an external time, which is odd for me.

What are your ideas about these kind of models?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

Thank you for bringing up the topic of quantum graphity models. I am always interested in exploring different theories and models that can help us better understand the fundamental principles of the Universe.

From my understanding, quantum graphity models propose that locality and geometry are not fundamental in the Universe, but rather emerge from a phase transition. This is an interesting concept, as it challenges our traditional understanding of space and time. However, as you mentioned, it is currently only a model and not a fully developed theory.

I think it is important to keep an open mind and explore different possibilities when it comes to understanding the fundamental principles of the Universe. The fact that these models are able to recover some intuitions about locality and geometry is intriguing, and it could potentially lead to new insights and discoveries.

Regarding the concept of an external time in these models, I can understand your hesitation. Time is a fundamental aspect of our everyday lives and it is difficult to imagine a Universe without it. However, in the realm of quantum mechanics, time can be a tricky concept. Some theories suggest that time may not be as fundamental as we once thought, and it could potentially emerge from other underlying principles.

Overall, I think these types of models are worth exploring and can provide valuable insights into the fundamental principles of the Universe. However, more research and testing is needed to fully understand their implications and potential applications. Thank you for bringing up this topic and I look forward to seeing how it develops in the future.

Related to Exploring Quantum Graphity Models: Bridging Locality, Geometry, and Relativity

What is a quantum graphity model?

A quantum graphity model is a theoretical framework that attempts to explain the underlying structure of space and time at a quantum level. It proposes that the universe is made up of discrete nodes and edges, similar to a network or graph structure, rather than continuous space-time.

How is quantum graphity different from other theories of quantum gravity?

Quantum graphity is different from other theories of quantum gravity in that it focuses on the discrete nature of space and time, rather than attempting to reconcile general relativity with quantum mechanics. It also allows for the possibility of the universe having a fundamental structure, rather than being completely random at a quantum level.

What evidence supports the existence of quantum graphity?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of quantum graphity. It is still a theoretical framework and has not been tested experimentally. However, some mathematical and computational models have shown promising results in explaining certain phenomena, such as the emergence of space-time from discrete nodes and edges.

Can quantum graphity models be tested?

Yes, quantum graphity models can be tested through experiments and observations. However, due to the extreme energies and scales involved, it may be challenging to directly test these models. Most evidence for or against quantum graphity may come from indirect observations and theoretical predictions.

What are the implications of quantum graphity for our understanding of the universe?

If quantum graphity models are proven to be accurate, it could revolutionize our understanding of the universe and how it works at a fundamental level. It may also have implications for other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, cosmology, and information theory.