Exploring Quotient Groups of D6 & D9

In summary: So, you have the 8 possible subgroups of D_6. Now, you need to find the normal subgroups among those. The normal subgroups will be: {id}, D_6, {id,r}, {id,r^2}, {id,r^3}, {id,r^4}, {id,r^5}, {id,r^6}.In summary, the possible quotient groups of D6 and D9, the dihedral group of 12 and 18 elements, are D6, D9, Z2, Z3, and Z6.
zcdfhn
Find, up to isomorphism, all possible quotient groups of D6 and D9, the dihedral group of 12 and 18 elements.

First of all, I don't understand the question by what they mean about "up to isomorphism." Does this mean by using the First Isomorphism Theorem? Also does this question imply that the quotient group of D6 and D9 depend on each other, or is the question asking for two different things.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Up to isomorphism" means that if two quotient groups are different (that is, are composed of different elements) but isomorphic to each other (e.g. both are cyclic groups of order 6), then that only counts as one group.

Also, I'm pretty sure that it's two separate questions...the quotient groups of D6 and D9 are independent.

Thanks that's much clearer, so my approach to find all the quotient groups of D6 is to use the 1st isomorphism theorem, so I start with finding all the normal subgroups of D6, which are {id}, {id, R^2, R^4}, {id, R, R^2, R^3, R^4, R^5}, and D3, where R = rotation by pi/3 (I'm not sure if I'm missing anything else). Then I figure out what D3/{id}, D3/{id, R^2, R^4}, D3/{id, R, R^2, R^3, R^4, R^5}, and D3/D3, but the problem is I don't know what they are isomorphic to, especially the quotients in the middle. (I think they are isomorphic to D3, Z2, Z2, and id, respectively)

Please tell me what to fix or what I'm doing correctly, etc. Thank you.

You're making progress, but there are still flaws.

D3/{id}, D3/{id, R^2, R^4}, D3/{id, R, R^2, R^3, R^4, R^5}, and D3/D3

All those "numerators" should be D6. This will change the rest of your work.

You are missing two normal subgroups, one of order two and one of order six.

The (proper) subgroups that are quotients of D_6 can only have orders 2,3,4,6. There aren't many groups of those orders - clearly there is only one group of order 3 and one of order 2, so the order uniquely determines those. There are only groups of order 6, one abelian and one not, so those are easy to spot.

Related to Exploring Quotient Groups of D6 & D9

1. What is a quotient group?

A quotient group is a group that is formed by "factoring out" a subgroup from a larger group. It is the set of all cosets of the subgroup and inherits some of the properties of the original group.

2. How do you explore quotient groups of D6 and D9?

To explore quotient groups of D6 and D9, you first need to understand the structure of these groups. D6 and D9 are both dihedral groups, which are groups of symmetries of regular polygons. To explore their quotient groups, you can consider different subgroups of these groups and see how their cosets form the quotient group.

3. What are the cosets of a subgroup?

The cosets of a subgroup are the different sets that partition the original group. They are formed by multiplying each element of the subgroup by all the elements of the original group. The number of cosets is equal to the index of the subgroup in the original group.

4. How are quotient groups useful in mathematics?

Quotient groups are useful in many areas of mathematics, including group theory, algebra, and topology. They help us understand the structure of a group by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. They also allow us to study the properties and symmetries of mathematical objects in a more abstract way.

5. Can you give an example of a quotient group of D6 or D9?

One example of a quotient group of D6 is the group formed by factoring out the subgroup of rotations (which has index 2) from D6. This quotient group has only two cosets, one containing all the rotations and the other containing all the reflections. Similarly, for D9, we can form a quotient group by factoring out the subgroup of rotations (which has index 3) or the subgroup of reflections (which also has index 3). This will give us two different quotient groups with three cosets each.