Exploring String Theory: A University Student's Guide

In summary, a 4th year university student is looking to expand their knowledge on string theory in preparation for a project on quantum turbulence. They are looking for book recommendations, with some suggestions including Briane Greene's The Elegant Universe, Barton Zwiebach's A First Course in String Theory, and Michael Green and Ed Witten's Superstring Theory. However, they note that a strong understanding of quantum field theory and general relativity is necessary before delving into string theory. They also mention that string theory is an ongoing research program and suggest taking a new approach from the original publications and updated theories.
Sonko
Hi everyone,
I'm soon going to be performing a project that looks at quantum turbulence of 3He and 4He, and more specifically how it decays over time depending on the vortex density and temperature. I’ve done much research into the low temperature part of my project however I’ve never had a single lecture on string theory. While I understand it can be a contentious issue I would like to expand my knowledge on the subject so would like to know if any of you could recommend some books or sources on the subject.

I'm a 4th year university student so I don’t need a completely dumbed down version, however like i said I’ve never even had a single lecture on the subject

Thanks for any help you can give me :D

Physics news on Phys.org
The most common starting point for the average person when beginning the adventure to understand Superstring Theory is most likely Briane Greene's The Elegant Universe. After that people tend to read Barton Zwiebach's A First Course in String Theory followed by Michael Green and Ed Witten's Superstring Theory: Volume 2, Loop Amplitudes, Anomalies and Phenomenology (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics)/Superstring Theory: Volume 1, Introduction (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics) . You can also read Joseph Polchinski's String Theory, Vol. 1 : An Introduction to the Bosonic String (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics)/String Theory, Vol. 2 : Superstring Theory and Beyond (Cambridge) . Before beginning the books succeeding Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe it is almost necessary to have a strong grasp of Quantum Field Theory and General Relativity. The Books tend to begin with Bosonic String and move to Superstring Theory - some may touch upon M-Theory.
1. Briane Greene's The Elegant Universe.
2. Barton Zwiebach's A First Course in String Theory
3. Michael Green and Ed Witten's Superstring Theory: Volume 2, Loop Amplitudes, Anomalies and Phenomenology (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics)/Superstring Theory: Volume 1, Introduction (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics)
4. Joseph Polchinski's String Theory, Vol. 1 : An Introduction to the Bosonic String (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics)/String Theory, Vol. 2 : Superstring Theory and Beyond (Cambridge)

Amazon provides a detailed outline:

Good Luck

There is not much point learning string theory if you haven't learned quantum field theory and general relativity... Besides, QFT and GR are established theories while string theory is an ongoing research program.

While string theory is possibly right, I doubt that the classic program will be of some help, a lot of students had taken it in the last ten or fifteen years and the results are completely unproductive.

Possibly what is needed is a new approach from the original publications (SUGRA, Dual Theories, Kaluza Klein, etc from 1970 to 1985) plus an update on M-theory and Duality.

FAQ: Exploring String Theory: A University Student's Guide

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to describe the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It proposes that particles are not point-like objects, but rather tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to the various particles and forces in the universe.

2. Why is string theory important?

String theory is important because it provides a potential solution to the long-standing problem of unifying the four fundamental forces of nature: gravity, electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. It also has the potential to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity.

3. How is string theory tested or verified?

Since string theory deals with incredibly small scales, it is currently impossible to directly test or verify its predictions. Instead, scientists use mathematical calculations and simulations to make predictions and compare them to existing experimental data. However, as technology advances, it may become possible to test some of the predictions of string theory.

4. What are the criticisms of string theory?

One of the main criticisms of string theory is that it currently lacks experimental evidence to support its claims. It is also a highly complex and abstract theory, making it difficult to test and understand. Additionally, some critics argue that it is not a true scientific theory because it cannot be falsified.

5. Can string theory be proven?

As with any scientific theory, string theory cannot be proven definitively. However, it can be supported or disproven through experimental evidence and further mathematical developments. Many scientists believe that string theory has the potential to be proven or disproven in the future as technology and our understanding of the universe advances.

Back