Exploring Subspaces of $\mathbb{R}^n$: Is S a Subspace?

In summary, for a set S of all vectors in Rn which are linear combinations of the form k_1 \vec{u}+k_2 \vec{v}+3 \vec{w}, where k_1,k_2 \in R, to be a subspace of Rn, the vector w must be in the plane spanned by u and v. If w is linearly dependent on u and v, the set is a subspace, while if w is linearly independent, the set is not a subspace.
danago
Gold Member
Let [tex]\vec{u},\vec{v},\vec{w}[/tex] be fixed vectors in Rn. Define S to be the set of all vectors in Rn which are linear combinations of the form [tex]k_1 \vec{u}+k_2 \vec{v}+3 \vec{w}[/tex], where [tex]k_1,k_2 \in R[/tex]. Is S a subspace of Rn?

Im a little stuck with this one. I've tried defining two vectors, [tex]\vec{x},\vec{y} \in S[/tex] and then forming a linear combination of the two, to get:

[tex]
a\overrightarrow x + b\overrightarrow y = (ak_1 + bc_1 )\overrightarrow u + (ak_2 + bc_2 )\overrightarrow v + (3a + 3b)\overrightarrow w
[/tex]

Where:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\overrightarrow x = k_1 \overrightarrow u + k_2 \overrightarrow v + 3\overrightarrow w \\
\overrightarrow y = c_1 \overrightarrow u + c_2 \overrightarrow v + 3\overrightarrow w \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Thats where I am lost; I am not even sure if I've taken the right approach. From this i can see that the linear combination of vectors x and y results in an expression containing linear combinations of vectors u and v, but its the w vector that's causing me problems.

Any hints are greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it causing problems? Is the result of adding those two vectors together in the given set?

n_bourbaki said:
Why is it causing problems? Is the result of adding those two vectors together in the given set?

Well i would be inclined to say no since the linear combination of x and y is not explicitly of the same form as the vectors in S, but i didnt think it was as simple as that.

When can you make it of the same form? When can't you make it of the same form?

n_bourbaki said:

Well if a+b=1 then it will be of the same form. Is that what you are getting at?

No, since we have to do this for all a and b.

It may help you to think about whether the 0 vector is in the set or not.

n_bourbaki said:

n_bourbaki said:
No, since we have to do this for all a and b.

It may help you to think about whether the 0 vector is in the set or not.

Well if w was the zero vector itself, then yes the zero vector is in the set (k1,k2=0). It is also in the set when w is linearly dependent on u and v?

Hmm alright if w is linearly dependent on u and v, then the expression CAN be written in the form required. I could write the (3a+3b)w=Kw (K=3a+3b) part as 3w + (K-3)w, and then write the w in terms of u and v, which would put it in the correct form.

If it is linearly independent, then would i be correct to say that it is not in the set?

So is that what you meant? There are two cases for this question?

Yes there are two cases. What is your geometric visualisation for this question? If you think about what that set describes, then it is clear that it is a subspace if and only if w is in the plane spanned by u and v.

What is the set? It is the plane spanned by u and v translated by 3w. This can only be a plane through the origin if 3w (equivalently w) is in the span of u and v

FAQ: Exploring Subspaces of $\mathbb{R}^n$: Is S a Subspace?

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three conditions: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under vector addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication.

2. How can I determine if a subset is a subspace of a vector space?

To determine if a subset is a subspace, you can check if it satisfies the three conditions: contains the zero vector, closed under vector addition, and closed under scalar multiplication.

3. Can a subset of a vector space be a subspace if it does not contain the zero vector?

No, a subset must contain the zero vector to be considered a subspace. If it does not contain the zero vector, it cannot satisfy the first condition for a subspace.

4. Can a subspace of a vector space be a subspace of another vector space?

Yes, a subspace can be a subspace of multiple vector spaces. This is because the three conditions for a subspace are satisfied by both the original vector space and the subset.

5. Is the intersection of two subspaces also a subspace?

Yes, the intersection of two subspaces is also a subspace. This is because the intersection will contain the zero vector, and will be closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication since both subspaces individually satisfy these conditions.