Exploring Taylor Series Expansions for Quadratic Equations

In summary: The proper equation is $\epsilon x^2 + x - 1 = 0$ One of its roots I gave above (only I substituted x for $\epsilon$ because I was lazy). So the modified (and fixing a slight mistake, I forgot a minus sign on the one) positive root is $\frac{1}{2\epsilon}(-1 + \sqrt{1 + 4\epsilon})$
fionamb831
Hi! I'm taking a course on Perturbation theory and as it's quite advanced the lecturer assumes everyone has a good level of maths. One of the parts is expanding roots of a quadratic equation about 0, I can understand how simple ones of the form $(1 + x)^2$ but I don't know where the answers are coming from for a couple I have here. This is the positive root of an equation:

$\frac{1}{2x}(1 + \sqrt{1 + 4x})$

The expansion for this is :

$1 + x + 2x^2 + 5x^3 + ...$

If anyone could explain this do me or do out the method for doing expansions of this type I would be forever grateful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fionamb83 said:
Hi! I'm taking a course on Perturbation theory and as it's quite advanced the lecturer assumes everyone has a good level of maths. One of the parts is expanding roots of a quadratic equation about 0, I can understand how simple ones of the form \(\displaystyle $(1 + x)^2$\(\displaystyle but I don't know where the answers are coming from for a couple I have here. This is the positive root of an equation:

\(\displaystyle $\frac{1}{2x}(1 + \sqrt{1 + 4x})$ \(\displaystyle

\(\displaystyle $1 + x + 2x^2 + 5x^3 + ...$ \(\displaystyle

If anyone could explain this do me or do out the method for doing expansions of this type I would be forever grateful!\)\)\)\)\)\)
\(\displaystyle \(\displaystyle \(\displaystyle \(\displaystyle \(\displaystyle \(\displaystyle

Hi fionamb83,

For the expansion of, \(\frac{1}{2x}(1 + \sqrt{1 + 4x})\) you can use the Taylor Series. Briefly put it states that, if \(f(x)\) is an infinitely differentiable function around a neighborhood of \(a\) then,

\[f(x)=\sum_{n=0} ^ {\infty} \frac {f^{(n)}(a)}{n!} \, (x-a)^{n}=f(a)+\frac {f'(a)}{1!} (x-a)+ \frac{f''(a)}{2!} (x-a)^2+\frac{f^{(3)}(a)}{3!}(x-a)^3+ \cdots\]

Try to use this to expand \(\sqrt{1 + 4x}\) around \(0\). First you have to find an expression for the derivatives of \(\sqrt{1 + 4x}\) at \(x=0\).\)\)\)\)\)\)

fionamb83 said:
Hi! I'm taking a course on Perturbation theory and as it's quite advanced the lecturer assumes everyone has a good level of maths. One of the parts is expanding roots of a quadratic equation about 0, I can understand how simple ones of the form $(1 + x)^2$ but I don't know where the answers are coming from for a couple I have here. This is the positive root of an equation:

If anyone could explain this do me or do out the method for doing expansions of this type I would be forever grateful!

You do not need \(\displaystyle tags here \$ or \$\$ work and are sufficient.

CB\)

fionamb83 said:

I think you will have to be more explicit about the equation that you are trying to get an expansion for the roots of.

Also the variable in the perturbation series should not be the same as the unknown in the equation but should be in terms of a parameter in the equation, should it not?

CB

fionamb83 said:

Please check whether you have written this correctly. In fact, $\frac{1}{2x}(1 + \sqrt{1 + 4x})$ goes to infinity as $x\to0$, so it cannot have a power series expansion at all.

For expressions like $\sqrt{1 + 4x}$, you should use the binomial expansion $$(1+t)^{1/2} = 1+\tfrac12t+\dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr)}{2!}t^2 + \dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac32\bigr)}{3!}t^3 + \ldots = 1+\tfrac12t -\tfrac18t^2 +\tfrac1{16}t^3 +\ldots,$$
substituting $t=4x$.

Ok, sorry for the confusion. The actual example of this is found in Simon Mallams notes at the end of page 15, example 2.2, the second result if you google "simon malham introduction to asymptotic analysis" (sorry I can't post links yet).

The proper equation is $\epsilon x^2 + x - 1 = 0$ One of its roots I gave above (only I substituted x for $\epsilon$ because I was lazy I had been putting it into wolfram alpha and MATLAB to try and understand what was going on). So modified (and fixing a slight mistake, I forgot a minus sign on the one) the positive root is $\frac{1}{2\epsilon}(-1 + \sqrt{1 + 4\epsilon})$

I tried the binomial expansion $$(1+t)^{1/2} = 1+\tfrac12t+\dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr)}{2!}t^2 + \dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac32\bigr)}{3!}t^3 + \ldots = 1+\tfrac12t -\tfrac18t^2 +\tfrac1{16}t^3 +\ldots,$$
substituting $t=4\epsilon$.

But the using that I am getting $1 + 2\epsilon - 2\epsilon^2 + 4\epsilon^3 + ...$
So I can't figure out where the answer $1 - {\epsilon} +2{\epsilon}^2 - 5{\epsilon}^3 + ...$ is coming from.

I'm sorry if all this seems a bit daft. I moved from physics to simulation science and they hadn't felt the need to teach us any maths other than O.D.E.'s and P.D.E.'s in my Maths Physics course, so I have big gaps in my knowledge unfortunately. It's just the expansion that's stumping me, which is really a major part if I'm going to be able to do it in my exam.

In the meantime I will try some other things. I just wanted to clarify the above.

Last edited:
fionamb83 said:
So modified (and fixing a slight mistake, I forgot a minus sign on the one) the positive root is $\frac{1}{2\epsilon}(-1 + \sqrt{1 + 4\epsilon})$

I tried the binomial expansion $$(1+t)^{1/2} = 1+\tfrac12t+\dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr)}{2!}t^2 + \dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac32\bigr)}{3!}t^3 + \ldots = 1+\tfrac12t -\tfrac18t^2 +\tfrac1{16}t^3 +\ldots,$$
substituting $t=4\epsilon$.

But the using that I am getting $1 + 2\epsilon - 2\epsilon^2 + 4\epsilon^3 + ...$
So I can't figure out where the answer $1 - {\epsilon} +2{\epsilon}^2 - 5{\epsilon}^3 + ...$ is coming from.
You needed to take one more term in the binomial series: $$(1+t)^{1/2} = 1+\tfrac12t+\dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr)}{2!}t^2 + \dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac32\bigr)}{3!}t^3 + \dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac32\bigr) \bigl(-\frac52\bigr)}{4!}t^4 + \ldots = 1+\tfrac12t -\tfrac18t^2 +\tfrac1{16}t^3 -\tfrac5{128}t^4 +\ldots.$$ Now substitute $t=4\varepsilon$ to get $(1+4\varepsilon)^{1/2} = 1+2\varepsilon -2\varepsilon^2 + 4\varepsilon^3 -10\varepsilon^4 + \ldots.$ Finally (which you are forgetting to do) subtract 1 and divide by $2\varepsilon$ to get the approximation for $\frac{1}{2\epsilon}(-1 + \sqrt{1 + 4\epsilon}).$

Opalg said:
You needed to take one more term in the binomial series: $$(1+t)^{1/2} = 1+\tfrac12t+\dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr)}{2!}t^2 + \dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac32\bigr)}{3!}t^3 + \dfrac{\bigl(\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac12\bigr) \bigl(-\frac32\bigr) \bigl(-\frac52\bigr)}{4!}t^4 + \ldots = 1+\tfrac12t -\tfrac18t^2 +\tfrac1{16}t^3 -\tfrac5{128}t^4 +\ldots.$$ Now substitute $t=4\varepsilon$ to get $(1+4\varepsilon)^{1/2} = 1+2\varepsilon -2\varepsilon^2 + 4\varepsilon^3 -10\varepsilon^4 + \ldots.$ Finally (which you are forgetting to do) subtract 1 and divide by $2\varepsilon$ to get the approximation for $\frac{1}{2\epsilon}(-1 + \sqrt{1 + 4\epsilon}).$
Ah right! It's clear to me now. Thanks, that's a great help!

FAQ: Exploring Taylor Series Expansions for Quadratic Equations

1. What is a Taylor Series expansion?

A Taylor Series expansion is a mathematical method used to approximate a function using a polynomial. It involves breaking down a function into a sum of infinitely many terms that are related to each other by the derivatives of the function at a specific point.

2. Why are Taylor Series expansions useful?

Taylor Series expansions are useful because they allow us to approximate complicated functions with simpler polynomials. This can make it easier to analyze and work with the function, and can also be used to find approximations for functions that are difficult to calculate directly.

3. How do you calculate a Taylor Series expansion?

To calculate a Taylor Series expansion, you need to know the derivatives of the function at a specific point. Then, you can use the formula for a Taylor Series to find the coefficients of the polynomial. The more terms you include in the expansion, the more accurate the approximation will be.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor Series and a Maclaurin Series?

A Taylor Series is a generalized form of a Maclaurin Series. A Maclaurin Series is a Taylor Series expansion where the point at which the derivatives are evaluated is 0. This means that all the terms in a Maclaurin Series have an x term raised to a non-negative power, while a Taylor Series can have terms with negative powers of x.

5. What are some real-world applications of Taylor Series expansions?

Taylor Series expansions have many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the analysis of oscillatory systems, electrical circuits, and fluid mechanics. They are also used in economics and finance to approximate complex functions and make predictions. In computer science, Taylor Series are used in algorithms for tasks such as root finding and optimization.