Exploring Temperature Sensing with BJTs

In summary, the conversation is about building a simple temperature sensor using a BJT (BC547, 2N2222, or similar). The plan is to measure the Vbe and use 9-12v as Vcc, with the transistor in common-emitter configuration and wrapped in plastic and dipped in warm water. The goal is to plot Vbe vs Temperature and then use an Arduino to get the actual temperature value. The main questions are about which resistors to use for the common-emitter polarization and how to measure Vbe. One suggestion is to use 2 opamps, but the person is unsure about this method. They are also open to measuring other things like Ic or Ie and are considering doing a Google
Wheeew
Hey there, I want to build a simple temperature sensor using a BJT (BC547, 2N2222, or similar). I'm not sure how should I do that. My first thoughts where: measuring the Vbe, using around 9v to 12v as Vcc, the transistor with common-emitter; then just wrap the transistor in plastic or something and dipping it in warm water (measuring water temperature with a simple thermometer).
This way I could just plot Vbe vs Temperature (from 10°C to 80° maybe), later I could plug it to an arduino or something to get the actual temperature value
My questions are about, which resistors to use for the common-emitter polarization of the BJT? , and most importantly, How could I measure Vbe? I was suggested to use 2 opamps, one to measure the voltage difference between base and emitter and the second one to amplify the signal of the first opamp, but I'm not sure about this method.
Thanks for your help :v I'm not very good at this. Need help! :)
Should I try to measure another thing? Ic? Ie? any ideas? :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try a google search, "using transistor as a temperature sensor"

Related to Exploring Temperature Sensing with BJTs

1. What is a BJT temperature sensor?

A BJT (bipolar junction transistor) temperature sensor is a type of electronic device that uses a BJT to measure temperature. The BJT acts as a variable resistor, with its resistance changing in response to changes in temperature, allowing it to accurately measure temperature changes.

2. How does a BJT temperature sensor work?

A BJT temperature sensor works by measuring the voltage drop across the BJT, which is affected by the temperature-dependent resistance. This voltage is then converted into a temperature reading using a conversion formula. As the temperature changes, the resistance of the BJT changes, resulting in a different voltage reading and therefore a different temperature measurement.

3. What are the advantages of using a BJT temperature sensor?

One advantage of using a BJT temperature sensor is its low cost, as BJTs are relatively inexpensive compared to other types of temperature sensors. They are also accurate, have a wide temperature range, and are easy to interface with electronic circuits.

4. What are the limitations of a BJT temperature sensor?

A major limitation of a BJT temperature sensor is its nonlinearity, meaning that the relationship between temperature and voltage is not always consistent. This can result in less accurate temperature readings, especially at extreme temperatures. Additionally, BJTs are more sensitive to changes in ambient temperature, which can affect their accuracy.

5. How is a BJT temperature sensor calibrated?

To calibrate a BJT temperature sensor, the sensor is first compared to a standard temperature source and the voltage readings are recorded at various temperatures. A conversion formula is then developed based on these readings, which can be used to accurately convert voltage readings into temperature measurements. The sensor may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure accuracy.