Exploring the Best Brass for Corrosion: Types, Properties, and Experiment Design

• Thread starter Buster123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Corrosion
In summary, the task is to corrode brass using common base, acid, and salt. The best type of brass to use for visible results is one that is susceptible to dezincification, according to information from brass wholesale suppliers and online sources. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, and there are hundreds of different types with varying properties.
Buster123

Homework Statement

I have been given the task to corrode brass with common base, acid and salt. I understand that it is an alloy of copper and zinc and is actually designed not to rust. Before I begin the experiment, I am looking for the best TYPE of brass to use in this experiment. Given that there appears to be hundreds of different types of brass with different properties, which type will give me the best chance for visible results?

Homework Equations

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc

The Attempt at a Solution

I have looked all over the internet... and have contacted several "brass wholesale suppliers" who have simply stated that they are not "scientists."

Physics news on Phys.org
Include "dezincification" in your search for brass. You want a brass that is http://corrosion-doctors.org/MatSelect/corrbrass.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring the Best Brass for Corrosion: Types, Properties, and Experiment Design

1. What is the purpose of exploring the best brass for corrosion?

The purpose of this exploration is to understand the different types of brass, their properties, and how to design experiments to test their resistance to corrosion. This information can then be used to select the best brass for various applications.

2. What are the different types of brass?

There are several types of brass, including alpha brass, beta brass, and alpha-beta brass. The composition of each type varies, and this affects their properties and susceptibility to corrosion.

3. What properties should be considered when selecting brass for corrosion resistance?

Some important properties to consider are the alloy composition, microstructure, strength, and ductility. These properties can impact the corrosion resistance of the brass.

4. How can experiments be designed to test the corrosion resistance of brass?

Experiments can be designed to simulate real-world conditions, such as exposure to different environments and corrosive agents. The corrosion rate can then be measured and compared between different types of brass.

5. Why is it important to understand the best brass for corrosion?

Understanding the best brass for corrosion is crucial because it can help prevent damage and failure in various applications. It can also save time and resources by selecting the most suitable brass for a specific environment or use.

Back