Exploring the Concept of Center of Mass-Energy

In summary: InvariantsIn summary, the concept of Center of Mass is universal and applicable everywhere. According to Einstein's Mass-Energy Equivalence, there is also a concept of "center of energy" which applies to systems such as the annihilation of an electron and positron where no external force is acting. This concept is expressed in the conservation of 4-momentum in special relativity, where it is made up of an energy term and 3 momentum terms. This unification of energy and momentum is the basis of the famous equation e=mc^2. The units of the 4-momentum vector are often simplified by neglecting factors of c, but it is important to keep in mind that c is needed to get the units right
Himanshu
I have learned that the concept of Center of Mass is universal and is applicable everywhere. As per Einstien's Mass-Energy Equivalence there should be a concept of "center of energy" also? For example if I annihilate electron and positron center of mass-energy should apply. The position of center of mass-energy should not be displaced as no external force is acting on the system.

So does there a concept of "center of mass-energy" exists in theories?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah! I heard that term before. But I am not clear.

In the wiki-article it says that four-momentum comparise of an energy term and 3 momentum terms. How is it true? How could such a physical quantity exist with two entirely different objects? Or is it just a new formalism?

Himanshu said:
In the wiki-article it says that four-momentum comparise of an energy term and 3 momentum terms. How is it true? How could such a physical quantity exist with two entirely different objects? Or is it just a new formalism?
I'm afraid I don't understand your question, could you elaborate please.

Himanshu said:

That is correct, there is an energy term and 3 momentum terms. One of the things that relativity did is to show the connection between space and time. There is not a separate space and time, but rather a single spacetime that is split into space and time components differently in different reference frames. A direct consequence of this is the fact that energy and momentum are also part of a single entity called the 4-momentum that is split into the timelike energy component and the spacelike momentum components in different ways by different reference frames. This unification of energy and momentum is really the basis of the famous e=mc^2 equation.

DaleSpam said:
This unification of energy and momentum is really the basis of the famous e=mc^2 equation.

OK! That's where E=MC2 comes from! So E=MC2 didn't come to Einstein in a dream. GREAT! Now I've found it. Thank You.

Can you provide me a link for it that derives the equation mathematically.

Himanshu said:

One thing that might be throwing you off a bit is the apparent mixing of units into one vector, i.e. units of momentum in three components and units of energy in the fourth. The thing to keep in mind is that when people talk about four-vectors, they often neglect to mention factors of c that are needed to get the units right (as well as to make the Physics correct), sometimes choosing a system of units where c=1 to make it numerically sensible to leave out.

When you talk about 3 space and 1 time dimension, the fourth dimension should be understood as c*t, which gives you units of length to match the first three dimensions. When you talk of the four-momentum vector, you should think of the component in the fourth dimension as the total energy divided by c, which gives you units of momentum. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-momentum#Minkowski_norm:_p2" in particular.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Himanshu said:
Can you provide me a link for it that derives the equation mathematically.
There are many derivations available. I like this approach as it is motivated by the 4-vector formulation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-vector

FAQ: Exploring the Concept of Center of Mass-Energy

1. What is the center of mass-energy?

The center of mass-energy is a concept in physics that refers to the point at which the total mass and energy of a system are concentrated. It is also known as the center of gravity or the center of inertia. In simpler terms, it is the point around which an object's mass and energy are evenly distributed.

2. How is the center of mass-energy calculated?

The center of mass-energy can be calculated by taking into account the individual masses and energies of all the particles in a system and their respective positions. The calculation involves using mathematical equations such as the center of mass formula or the moment of inertia formula.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass-energy?

The center of mass-energy plays a crucial role in understanding the motion and stability of objects and systems. It helps in determining the overall movement of a system, and it is also used in various fields such as astrophysics, mechanics, and engineering to analyze and design structures and machines.

4. Can the center of mass-energy be outside of an object?

No, the center of mass-energy is always located within the boundaries of an object. It is the point where an external force can be applied to an object to cause it to move as a whole, without any rotation. For a system of particles, the center of mass-energy may be located outside of the individual particles, but it will still be within the overall system.

5. How does the center of mass-energy relate to the conservation of energy?

The concept of center of mass-energy is closely related to the law of conservation of energy. In a closed system, the total mass and energy will remain constant, and the center of mass-energy will remain at the same position, even if the individual particles within the system are moving or interacting with each other. This is because the energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.