Exploring the Creation of Positrons for Aspiring Physicists"

• Thread starter tinypositrons
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of anti-matter, specifically positrons, through the process of pair production where a photon interacts with a nucleus to produce an electron and positron pair. The success of this experiment depends on the acceleration of the electrons and the potential harm of gamma radiation depends on its intensity. The number of electron/positron pairs produced depends on the energy of the electrons.
tinypositrons
Hi awesome physicists!
I'm interested in particles and particle accelerators. I've been wondering about how anti-matter is made. I've researched (using the infinite power of google) and have discovered that positrons (or anti-electrons) can be made by firing an electron at a heavy element, which, when the electron changes path and gives off high-energy photons which supposedly can spontaneously turn into a positron-electron pair. This sounds weird to me as I don't understand this spontaneous change stage.
What really goes on here?

Thanks,
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
The phenomenon you are referring to is called pair production, where by a photon of energy greater than two times the rest mass of an electron, when interacting with a nucleus, can turn into an electron and positron pair.

Thanks. And with regard to the experiment I referred to earlier (when electrons are fired at a heavy element etc), if a cold cathode was used to fire the electrons, would the experiment be successful in the sense that an electron-positron pair would be created? And if so, would the amount of gamma radiation produced be harmful if a human was standing next to it as it happened?

Thanks. And with regard to the experiment I referred to earlier (when electrons are fired at a heavy element etc), if a cold cathode was used to fire the electrons, would the experiment be successful in the sense that an electron-positron pair would be created?
If you accelerate the electrons sufficiently, sure.
And if so, would the amount of gamma radiation produced be harmful if a human was standing next to it as it happened?
That just depends on the intensity.

Can I make a silly post and say

When a mommy electron and a daddy photon get really excited...

Sorry, I'll just shut up

Cool. Could anyone tell me how many electrons produce how many antiparticle pairs (theoretically)?

That really depends on the energy. High-energetic electrons in matter can produce many (10, 100, 1000, ... just depends on the energy) electron/positron pairs in their showers.

FAQ: Exploring the Creation of Positrons for Aspiring Physicists"

1. What is a positron?

A positron is a subatomic particle with the same mass as an electron, but with a positive charge instead of a negative charge. It is the antiparticle of an electron, meaning that when a positron and an electron collide, they annihilate each other and release energy in the form of gamma rays.

2. How are positrons created?

Positrons can be created through various processes, such as radioactive decay, particle collisions in particle accelerators, and from high-energy photons interacting with matter. In our guide, we will focus on how positrons are created in particle accelerators.

3. Why are positrons important in physics?

Positrons play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of physics and the structure of matter. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, to diagnose diseases and study the human body.

4. What is the significance of exploring the creation of positrons?

By understanding how positrons are created, we can gain insights into the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and potentially discover new physics beyond our current understanding. This knowledge can also have practical applications in fields such as energy production and medical technology.

5. Is this guide suitable for all levels of understanding in physics?

This guide is designed for aspiring physicists who have a basic understanding of particle physics and quantum mechanics. However, it can also serve as a useful resource for those with a more advanced knowledge in the field. We recommend having a strong foundation in mathematics and physics before diving into the guide.