Exploring the Definition of e Through Limits

In summary, the number e can be defined in multiple ways, one of which is as the limit of (1 + 1/n)^n as n approaches positive infinity or negative infinity. The proof for negative infinity is similar to the one for positive infinity, and the constraint that n > 1 is necessary for the proof to work.
PFuser1232
I am familiar with the fact that the number e can be defined several ways. One particularly interesting definition is the one based on limits, namely:
e = limn [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ∞ (1 + [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex])n
My question is: wouldn't it be equally true to express e as the limit of the expression above as n goes to NEGATIVE infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to WolframAlpha, that is quite correct. The proof below is for positive infinity (WA won't show the step-by-step solution for the negative version unless I buy a pro subscription), but the steps are equally valid for negative infinity in this case.

limits-01.png

(Open the image in a new tab if you see it with a black background.)

Likes 1 person
"My question is: wouldn't it be equally true to express e as the limit of the expression above as n goes to NEGATIVE infinity?"

Yes it is. The verification is an exercise in algebra and exponent chasing.

If [itex] m [/itex] is a negative integer then [itex] m = -n [/itex] for a positive integer [itex] n [/itex]. For [itex] n > 1 [/itex] this gives

[tex] \begin{align*} \left(1 + \frac 1 m\right)^m & = \left(1 - \frac 1 n \right)^{-n} = \left(\frac{n - 1}n\right)^{-n} \\
& = \left(\frac n {n-1}\right)^n = \left(\frac n {n-1}\right) \cdot \left(\frac n {n-1}\right)^{n-1} \\
& = \left(\frac n {n-1} \right) \cdot \left(\frac{n-1}{n-1} + \frac 1 {n-1}\right)^{n-1} \\
& = \left(\frac n {n-1} \right) \cdot \left( 1 + \frac 1 {n-1}\right)^{n-1} = A_n \cdot B_n \text{ (say)}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Note that [itex] \lim_{m \to -\infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 m\right)^m [/itex] equals [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 - \frac 1 n \right)^{-n}[/itex]

Since
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\lim_{n \to \infty} \left( \frac n {n-1}\right) & = 1 \\
\text{and}\\
\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 {n-1}\right)^{n-1} & = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 n%
\right)^n = e
\end{align*}
[/tex]

putting everything together gives

[tex]
\lim_{m \to -\infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 m\right)^m = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 - \frac 1 n\right)^{-n} = e
[/tex]

statdad said:
"My question is: wouldn't it be equally true to express e as the limit of the expression above as n goes to NEGATIVE infinity?"

Yes it is. The verification is an exercise in algebra and exponent chasing.

If [itex] m [/itex] is a negative integer then [itex] m = -n [/itex] for a positive integer [itex] n [/itex]. For [itex] n > 1 [/itex] this gives

[tex] \begin{align*} \left(1 + \frac 1 m\right)^m & = \left(1 - \frac 1 n \right)^{-n} = \left(\frac{n - 1}n\right)^{-n} \\
& = \left(\frac n {n-1}\right)^n = \left(\frac n {n-1}\right) \cdot \left(\frac n {n-1}\right)^{n-1} \\
& = \left(\frac n {n-1} \right) \cdot \left(\frac{n-1}{n-1} + \frac 1 {n-1}\right)^{n-1} \\
& = \left(\frac n {n-1} \right) \cdot \left( 1 + \frac 1 {n-1}\right)^{n-1} = A_n \cdot B_n \text{ (say)}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Note that [itex] \lim_{m \to -\infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 m\right)^m [/itex] equals [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 - \frac 1 n \right)^{-n}[/itex]

Since
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\lim_{n \to \infty} \left( \frac n {n-1}\right) & = 1 \\
\text{and}\\
\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 {n-1}\right)^{n-1} & = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 n%
\right)^n = e
\end{align*}
[/tex]

putting everything together gives

[tex]
\lim_{m \to -\infty} \left(1 + \frac 1 m\right)^m = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 - \frac 1 n\right)^{-n} = e
[/tex]

But why should we consider the constraint n>1? Isn't it enough to say n>0?

"But why should we consider the constraint n>1? Isn't it enough to say n>0?"

For the limit it doesn't matter. But for the steps in my approach to work I need [itex] n > 1 [/itex] because
of the introduction of the denominators of [itex] n - 1 [/itex] .

FAQ: Exploring the Definition of e Through Limits

1. What is the definition of e?

The number e is an irrational number that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is a mathematical constant that appears in many areas of mathematics, particularly in calculus.

2. How is e related to limits?

The number e is closely related to limits in calculus. It is the base of the natural logarithm and is often used in the definition of the limit as x approaches infinity. It also appears in the formula for calculating the area under a curve using limits.

3. Why is e important in mathematics?

E is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental constant that appears in many mathematical concepts and equations. It has applications in areas such as calculus, probability, and growth models.

4. How is e used to explore limits?

E is used in the definition of the limit as x approaches infinity. It also appears in the formula for calculating the limit of a function as x approaches a specific value. By manipulating the expression involving e, we can evaluate limits and better understand the behavior of functions.

5. Can e be expressed as a fraction?

No, e is an irrational number and therefore cannot be expressed as a fraction. Its decimal representation is non-repeating and non-terminating, making it impossible to write as a finite fraction.

Back